Ducklings...

Quailboy

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Throop PA
I just got a duckling...I'm supposivly getting 2 more off agway... they hadn't a clue weather or not to keep them in a brooder or not and how old they were...I have one and he's inside and seems warm... His name is Webster... He/she is yellow w/ a small amount of down sticking up on it's head... Ok thank you...

Post some pics! Sounds like a crested Pekin if she/he has yellow feet and a tuft of down on its head.

I have a 1 mo old Pekin Peepers and he/she is in what I call the ugly duckling teenage years.
tongue.png
The downs all a mess and scraggly while the feathers come in. But then comes a beautiful white duck and they are gorgeous!
D.gif

Good luck and congrats again!

P1010978.jpg

I just got two more of another kind I think...what kind are they?

BTW they are Webster, Zippy, & "Needs a name" How can i tell their gender?

Hmm, the white one is most likely a crested pekin. The other's I am not sure, but they kinda look like Rouens to me. The stripe on the eye gives me that indication. They could also be Call ducks. I guess you'll know when they start feathering in about a month.

Aww, they are very cute. Looks like a crested pekin, and maybe mallards or rouens? I doubt they would be call ducks from a feed store.

I would certainly take them off the newspaper. Ducks don't do well on slippy surfaces, it can mess up there legs. Try papertowels. Good luck with them. They look great.

I agree with Sara. The newspaper will get wet and slick and cause spraddle leg.
Papertowels, old bathtowels, rubber shelf line would be the best thing to put them on. If they show signs of being hot, remove the heat farther away until they seem comfortable.

They are very cute! The yellow one could e a buff duck as well.

Looks too big for a call, I would guess mallard or rouen. Cute, though! For sexing, unless you know how to vent sex you can eith wait to see if the tail gets a curl, or listen to them when they start quacking. A hen will have a loud sharp quack, the drake will have a hoarse raspy quack. And yes, as young as they look I would keep them in a brooder.

Back
Top Bottom