Ducklings?

ekofke201

Songster
10 Years
Dec 27, 2011
Southern PA
I love the idea of getting a couple of ducklings. Just two would be the plan. (I don't know if there is duck math!) However, I have heard that they are messy and will tear up the ground. Can they live with the chickens? Will they stray? I am worried that they are going to swim right down the creek and never return. Will they do this? Thoughts?!?

i understand they are remarkably messy. it too would like to have a couple of ducks. not sure why - just do. i also would like a couple of geese for the same brilliant reason.
my guess is if you get them smaller & younger than the chickens, they would integrate better. i have read on posts here that male ducks will kill roosters.
good luck

I have 4 ducklings, who happen to be getting really big. Currently my 10 pullets are small and they are not housed together just yet. I want to wait till the chickens get a lot bigger. I'll let you know how it all works out.

Yes the ducks so far are a lot more work than the chickens. I love them though. The biggest problem is they make a mess with their water, they love to splash, causing me to change their bedding/straw daily. I have also noticed their poo is much more of a mess than the chickens. Its like a muddy type thing.

bj taylor... My reason for ducklings is no better than yours. Glad to hear that I am in good company!

Adelore... Do you plan to have them live in the coop with your chickens? I am wondering if they will be willing to live locked up with them at night/ climb the ramp, etc.

Back
Top Bottom