Ducklings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ekofke201, Apr 9, 2012.

1. ekofke201

ekofke201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    I love the idea of getting a couple of ducklings. Just two would be the plan. (I don't know if there is duck math!) However, I have heard that they are messy and will tear up the ground. Can they live with the chickens? Will they stray? I am worried that they are going to swim right down the creek and never return. Will they do this? Thoughts?!?

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i understand they are remarkably messy. it too would like to have a couple of ducks. not sure why - just do. i also would like a couple of geese for the same brilliant reason.
    my guess is if you get them smaller & younger than the chickens, they would integrate better. i have read on posts here that male ducks will kill roosters.
    good luck

3. adelore

adelore Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Hart, Michigan
    I have 4 ducklings, who happen to be getting really big. Currently my 10 pullets are small and they are not housed together just yet. I want to wait till the chickens get a lot bigger. I'll let you know how it all works out.

Yes the ducks so far are a lot more work than the chickens. I love them though. The biggest problem is they make a mess with their water, they love to splash, causing me to change their bedding/straw daily. I have also noticed their poo is much more of a mess than the chickens. Its like a muddy type thing.

4. ekofke201

ekofke201 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2011
    Southern PA
    bj taylor... My reason for ducklings is no better than yours. Glad to hear that I am in good company!

Adelore... Do you plan to have them live in the coop with your chickens? I am wondering if they will be willing to live locked up with them at night/ climb the ramp, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by