Ducks and Chickens 4x4 Coop

Madipark

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2020
Hi guys!

I've got 3 hens and LOVE them! We had originally planned to add 3-4 more hens but now I'm hoping to add 2 female ducks and 1 drake to my flock (anconas). My 3 ladies have a 4'x4' coop. How many ducks can live in my 4x4 coop without being overcrowded? They would be let out daily in spring-fall and kept in the coop for a little bit longer hours during winter when its dark out.

Thanks!

Thanks for the reply! Yes I've read that online. But I was more wondering since I will have chickens and ducks mixed does this change the ratio (since ducks are ground birds and the chickens would perch, therefore making more space available)?

Thanks for the reply! Yes I've read that online. But I was more wondering since I will have chickens and ducks mixed does this change the ratio (since ducks are ground birds and the chickens would perch, therefore making more space available)?
No, because chickens will still come off the perch to exercise and get the blood flowing again

I think a separate set up would be better, since you're planning on adding a drake as well.

^^^This^^^

Soooo many reasons why too.

Ducks are messy and wet. That means increased humidity which is bad for chickens.
A 4x4 coop is to small for them to not be stuck sleeping in poop and getting pooped on.
Ducks tend to NOT use nest boxes. A small coop means eggs in poop.
Ducks move around at night and will make for grumpy chickens.

Drakes can injure or kill chicken hens if they attempt mating them. See anatomy of drakes vs roosters.

^^^This^^^

Soooo many reasons why too.

Ducks are messy and wet. That means increased humidity which is bad for chickens.
A 4x4 coop is to small for them to not be stuck sleeping in poop and getting pooped on.
Ducks tend to NOT use nest boxes. A small coop means eggs in poop.
Ducks move around at night and will make for grumpy chickens.

Drakes can injure or kill chicken hens if they attempt mating them. See anatomy of drakes vs roosters.

I think we are going to put them into our shed (6x5ft) where some rabbits are currently. Put the 4x4 coop on legs and move those rabbits under the chicken coop to keep everyone separate. My poor rabbits will be so sad to leave the chickens for their own territory (2 rabbits share a 16x5 coop now which is getting torn down come spring). Then to add an outdoor dog house in the shared run together should suffice! Thanks everyone for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom