Ducks and chickens

Nmarrin

Hatching
Sep 20, 2020
My chickens and ducks share a run. Each flick has their own coop and the run is about 400 sq feet for 12 birds total. Part of the run is always dry but the section with the pond is constantly muddy. I know mud isn't good for chickens... separating them seems silly... any advice?

If you’re not gonna separate them then there really isn’t anything else to do. I’ve never heard of mud being bad for chickens? As long as their not constantly on the mud and getting dirty in it I don’t see a problem.

Ducks make things wet. Depending on where you are located it can cause problems with chickens or not.

Cocidiosis will thrive in wet soil. If you are where it gets cold chickens can get frostbite from wet ground.

I keep chickens and ducks together here. The shed is very large, and I move my waters often to let the ground dry out. It makes my maintenance more because I have to change out the water often as ducks foul it up daily.

It just all depends on your husbandry, and what you want to deal with.

Welcome to BYC. :)

My chickens and ducks share a run. Each flick has their own coop and the run is about 400 sq feet for 12 birds total. Part of the run is always dry but the section with the pond is constantly muddy. I know mud isn't good for chickens... separating them seems silly... any advice?
Might need some drainage work?
Pics of run would help here.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Nmarrin
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600693108989.png

Back
Top Bottom