Ducks and deep litter discussion

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Trimurtisan, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Thinking about it

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Tried and did not like

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I use deep litter with hay on wood floors too. I do not have food and water at night unless it is very hot which I think makes a huge difference. Every morning I use my spade fork and carefully get under any massive poop piles or those flattened poops that are obvious and just throw them out into the yard. I try to leave as much of the clean hay as I can. When it gets more broken down out in the yard I put it in the garden.

In the winter I keep the hay much thicker (about 1+ foot) but this time of the year I use about 1/2 the hay. It's working great for me and when I did a full clean out this spring I was pleased that the floor was not wet at all.

Maybe because I don't just leave all the poop in there I'm not really doing deep litter? I'm not changing out the hay all the time, I am adding to it a couple of times a week at the most, and not very much at that.

Jpat, Trimurtisan and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    This is pretty awesome. Some nice tips and different ways of going about it. Thanks for sharing your experiences everybody.

I'm hoping to have our duck house operational this weekend and start in on this myself.

onaharley and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. markntracy3

markntracy3 Songster

May 2, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I personally use wood pellets (horse bedding) with hay on top, cleanest duck coop i ever had.....i rake it out so much easier for me and cleaner for ducks

Trimurtisan likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

DuckyDonna and Trimurtisan like this.
  5. Trimurtisan

Trimurtisan Team flappy foot

May 22, 2019
    A cypress swamp in FL
    Hatch date is today, so hopefully by Saturday.
    :D

DuckyDonna likes this.
  6. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    UK
    Hi Miss Lydia, I'm doing exactly the same!!!! I have a converted wooden shed with a very big dog house inside. Both the shed and dog house has cheap vinyl floor. The dog house is deep in bedding, however, the ducks mostly poop outside the dog house. Therefore, I simply go in each morning, pick up any poop if inside the dog house, give the bedding a quick fluff up then lightly mop the rest of the shed. Works like a charm!!!!

7. designbyaleks

designbyaleks In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    I have 5, 5-week old ducklings which will be culled to 3 before winter, and they’re free-range on our 1.5 acre property so they mostly hang out on grass (except when they for some reason decide interlock is where they want to settle for a nap). We have an enclosure for night-time - a duck tractor that’s about 8sq ft enclosed, vinyl floor plus deep litter and the fence-covered portion wherever the tractor happens to be in the yard. They are in there only at night but 5 make more waste for sure than our design intended for. Since they are young, we also have a feeder and waterer inside for now. All to say, our straw is somewhat wet, but not terrible. No smell either... BUT we do have tiny vinegar flies in there... much like my compost pile. I’m wondering if that’s ok? I know the straw is not absorbent, so I’m thinking of mixing in pine shavings over a base of barn lime, all of that on top of the vinyl... would that be a good approach? Should I stick with what I have, provided the tiny flies aren’t bad?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: