Ducks and diets

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I have 1 mallard, 2 white crested, 1 buff and one buff Swedish blue mix. I have been feeding them a plain diet of organic layer pellets and kitchen scraps. I’ve been reading other people’s posts tho and am wondering if I should be feeding more for nutritional benefits? Same with my chickens, I have mostly older hens and all of them seem to be prone to diseases. Is there something else I should be feeding or is what I am feeding okay? Not an urgent question, but just wondering. I just ordered some brewers yeast for my flock, heard it’s good for egg laying and strengthening feet to reduce Bumblefoot. Thanks any advice appreciated! Avery

I wouldn't feed scraps if I were you.
Everything 'extra' takes away from them getting a balanced diet.

What exact feed do you use?

Brewers yeast does not do anything for egg laying or preventing bumblefoot.

I have the same question...
I'm currently feeding my chickens Nature's Best Organic egg layer crumbles. I'm feeding my duck Nature's Best Organic duck Crumbles but I was looking at the brand Scratch and Peck for ducks and chickens (on chewy.com) and thinking of switching. Both products ingredients are pretty similar but the Scratch and Peck does not have soy and they all have niacin supplement but doesn't say how much. Does anyone have advice or another food I could use that would provide efficient nutrition for both bird? My shopping options are tractor supply, my local farm bureau and online dealers. My Chickens are golden laced wyandottes 1 year 3 months old and my ducks are a Mallard 9 weeks old and a Pekin 2 weeks old.
Screenshot_20200728-122744.png
Screenshot_20200728-122744.png
Screenshot_20200728-122530.png

Screenshot_20200728-122752.png

I'm using "all flock", since mine is mixed (see the sig line), and when All Flock was out of stock, I used the Nutrena Nature Wise Feather Fixer to try and keep the protein and fat up, since I have a mix of meat and layers. Free ranging supplements it all, and they free choice oyster shell for the needed calcium boost in the layers. Layer feed has a LOT of calcium relative to a duck's actual needs.

and of course no medicated feeds, ever, with the ducks.

Back
Top Bottom