Ducks and fishies?

farmerlor

Songster
11 Years
Dec 25, 2008
middle of nowhere Colorado
So I've been thinking
th.gif
since Wifezilla the evil enabler has instigated my new duck passion, about getting some kind of water/pool/thingy. I'm wondering, you know how just for jollies we go get little wormies or crickets to feed to the chickens for a treat? Would the ducks, when they get big enough, like to have a little gold fish or two in their pond for a treat or would that be silly, dangerous or stupid?

I got them minnows occasionally when i was a kid...i had a chicken who would catch them over the side of the pool! I would make sure they are healthy looking fish, no fungus or parasites...otherwise don't see why not...

I bought 50 feeder fish one time for my Mandarin ducklings as a treat. The bag lasted less than a few minutes and they only lasted a little longer because the mandarins enjoy making a game of it, but as soon as my Indian runners figured out what was going on they pushed the mandarins out of the pool and the fish were gone in seconds.

By the way have you tried snails? Its a tad messy to say the least, but there is nothing as hilarious as an Indian runner duck trying to fit just one more snail down their throat when they are already covered in snail from eating the previous 20.

I often times go to the bait shop and get minnows for the call duck ponds. cheap and more of a natural fish than the goldfish would be not that I think that matters to much.

I wouldn't go with goldfish, depending on the type of pond (maybe in a wading pool....) Wouldn't want to chance one surviving and reproducing. They are a carp and would not be helpful to native species. Bait minnows should be fine, though.

Back
Top Bottom