Ducks and Flock Blocks?

Ya know, I had never even considered something like that (if it's what I think it is).

I am not sure about it. Thinking about the differences in a chicken's beak and a duck's bill, might the ducks break of a really big chunk and get it stuck in their throat?

Very kind of you to be thinking of the ducks, yes indeed. I need to go look at the Duck Forum Stickies list of duck treats and see if there is anything in there.

Usually, when we do treats, it's peas, or little pieces of watermelon, or berries, or meal worms.

I bought a flock block for my ducks once and they didn't care for it at all
sad.png

Crumbles seem to work for ducklings three weeks or younger, but I feel that as their bills get wider, they have more trouble eating crumbles. Pellets or the Mazuri feed disks seem to be easiest for my ducks. But there was a thread about keeping ducks amused during winter that may give you some ideas.

You are so good to your sister and her ducks. How nice!

smile.png

I have given the 20 lb blocks to my chickens and turkeys. The ducks just mozy on over to them and break off chunks with no trouble. They enjoy the heck out of them too. Never had any issues about anything getting stuck since the blocks seem to crumble fairly easy once the initial outer "skin" of the block has been pecked through. I'm talking about the big, super hard purina flock block, by the way.

In looking into flock blocks for ducks, what about freezing frozen veggies in ice, like large cubes?

My girls love frozen peas (the dog does too now). If they can see them, you think they would peck for them, thus giving them something to do?

Any other boredom buster ideas?

I plan to get a mirror too.

Do they play with bird cage toys?

In looking into flock blocks for ducks, what about freezing frozen veggies in ice, like large cubes?

My girls love frozen peas (the dog does too now). If they can see them, you think they would peck for them, thus giving them something to do?

Any other boredom buster ideas?

I plan to get a mirror too.

Do they play with bird cage toys?

I have read that people make frozen veggie blocks for their ducks. I would try it. Some folks hang greens or cabbage on a string (make sure that the string cannot come loose and get swallowed, and nothing that can come off and get swallowed.

Colorful unbreakable cups with goodies in them sometimes are amusing. My flock likes greens floating in water.

Some get toys for their ducks - just important, again, nothing that can break off and be swallowed. My ducks like me to dig in the compost in the bottom of their pen for worms. They'll stand on my feet and hands to get up close to what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom