Ducks and hens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hennyhandler, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have chickens but have never had ducks before and i became curious. Can ducks and hens live in the same area? I wouldn't assume they could live in the same shelter, right? Any info would be great.

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I think this board is split about 50/50 on housing ducks and chickens together.

3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Could you name the pros and cons? What do ducks really require that might be different than chickens? [​IMG]

4. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I keep my Scovies in with all my adult hens [​IMG]

5. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    They get along? Did you introduce them when they were babies or when they were older? Do they mess the run up a WHOLE lot??

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Someone else will have to do that for you, I've never had chickens. [​IMG]

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I've kept my three ducks and thirty-ish chickens together for four years now in the same coop and henhouse and I haven't had much/any trouble with the two coexisting. The ducks can be a little pushy towards the chickens, but they haven't hurt any of my chickens at all (and I have small bantams and large ducks). The main con with keeping them together is you have to change the water a lot, but that's about it really... Other than that they've done just fine and coexist quite happily.

My drake tried to mate with one of my buff orpingtons a few times, but I think he eventually figured out that they aren't ducks and he has a duck hen to mate with. [​IMG]

I think it definitely comes down to how much space one has, though. I have a pretty large run/henhouse (the henhouse is maybe 7' x 8' x 8' or so, and the run is 25' x 15', plus they get to free range a few times a week) where the species can separate and get away from one another if they want. As a note, I also have guinea fowl in the same coop, so the three species all live together peacefully.

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    My ducks and chickens get along fine. The ducks will muddy the water as soon as you put it down, so you'l have to change it more often,but other than that, no problems.

9. parrillofarms

parrillofarms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2009
    vermont, il
    ducks and chickens may get along fine but that depends on how you raise your chickens and your ducks. If you are raising your ducks on the side of a pond i wouldn't recommend keeping your chickens with your ducks. if the ducks are in fairly dry conditions they should be fine. chickens can't handle damp conditions very well because of the vast diseases and spread of diseases. if the ducks are living in damp conditions just raise your chickens in a separate area.

10. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks are a lot messier than chickens and keep the pen wet if you let them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by