Ducks and hens?

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have chickens but have never had ducks before and i became curious. Can ducks and hens live in the same area? I wouldn't assume they could live in the same shelter, right? Any info would be great.

Could you name the pros and cons? What do ducks really require that might be different than chickens?
big_smile.png

They get along? Did you introduce them when they were babies or when they were older? Do they mess the run up a WHOLE lot??

I've kept my three ducks and thirty-ish chickens together for four years now in the same coop and henhouse and I haven't had much/any trouble with the two coexisting. The ducks can be a little pushy towards the chickens, but they haven't hurt any of my chickens at all (and I have small bantams and large ducks). The main con with keeping them together is you have to change the water a lot, but that's about it really... Other than that they've done just fine and coexist quite happily.

My drake tried to mate with one of my buff orpingtons a few times, but I think he eventually figured out that they aren't ducks and he has a duck hen to mate with.
lol.png

I think it definitely comes down to how much space one has, though. I have a pretty large run/henhouse (the henhouse is maybe 7' x 8' x 8' or so, and the run is 25' x 15', plus they get to free range a few times a week) where the species can separate and get away from one another if they want. As a note, I also have guinea fowl in the same coop, so the three species all live together peacefully.

My ducks and chickens get along fine. The ducks will muddy the water as soon as you put it down, so you'l have to change it more often,but other than that, no problems.

ducks and chickens may get along fine but that depends on how you raise your chickens and your ducks. If you are raising your ducks on the side of a pond i wouldn't recommend keeping your chickens with your ducks. if the ducks are in fairly dry conditions they should be fine. chickens can't handle damp conditions very well because of the vast diseases and spread of diseases. if the ducks are living in damp conditions just raise your chickens in a separate area.

Back
Top Bottom