Ducks and Ivermectin?

Okay, so this will probably sound a little 'dumb', lol....I use Ivermectin when I worm my horses and it comes in a tube...does it come in a different form for the chickens? I cant imagine trying to give them that nasty pasty yucky stuff!
hmm.png
LOL

Liquid, for cattle-noromectin
If you use this, you should use really small dosages, hence only a drop or two for the mandarins
There is also a soluble wormer, don't know where you can get it maybe vet or COOP but it is going to have to be the only source of water for the period of time it takes that way they get the proper dosage.

Ok, Thank-You so much for all the info. I will see if I can run some down. I need to get rid of the gapeworms in the flock because I have 5 new babies and am expecting 8 more next week..I dont want the babies getting that. Never again will I get new birds and NOT do a quarantine....hard lesson to learn.
sad.png

Thanks again for the info!

Am new & unexpected white duck momma. Was giving to me because her right leg was broken at hip 2months in accident with vehicle! Duck is still limping a little. Leg is clearly uncomfortable for her in afternoon/night. Does anyone know what OTC pain relievers are safe for ducks that I may administer in the evenings? THANKS:)>

Ivermectin is used on people too. I'd prefer that to pymetherin sprays personally. Sevin dust is highly recommended by many experts for mites and lice and is considered very safe. One expert on another forum uses Copper Sulfate as a wormer in her poultry water and has very good success with that, it is also supposed to be very safe. I've never used Sevin dust or Copper Sulfate.

One caution with Ivermectin is that it can be dangerous to some dogs that have a genetic defect. This applies basically to Collie breeds, Aussie Shepherds and many similar breeds. When I used Ivermectin, I labeled the eggs for a couple of weeks and my daughter was careful not to feed them to her Smooth Collie - might have been fine, but we haven't done the DNA test to know if she is susceptible or not.

These choices are up to the people with the livestock, I sure can't tell anyone what to do, was just answering a question on how to use what they have and want to use.
I use it on my chickens and ducks too...even my turkey.

As far as not eating the meat or eggs. There is a 5 day withholding period and I usually double that to be safe.

I worm Mandarins, teal, pintails, sebie geese, domestic ducks, and chickens with ivermectin. Its about time for me to do it again come to think of it, forgot what the dosage was. I do remember the vet telling me to use only a few droplets for the mandarins but forgot how much for bigger birds. I'm going up sometime in the next few days to get more baytril and i'll ask about correct dosage for the ivermectin.

(i apologize if this has already been said, skimmed through the thread)

I use 1mg on big birds, 1/2 mg on bantams and pullets and 2 mg on turkeys.

I have some big chickens that weigh a lot so sometimes I may bump third to 1 1/4 mg.

Back
Top Bottom