ducks and kids..?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KrazyKZ08, Oct 17, 2011.

1. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    I love my ducks so much...they are like children to me, but i just found out that I am pregnant...Everyone is saying I will have to get rid of the ducks because they could get me or the baby really sick...I keep them outside overnight but in the house with diapers while im home. they get really excited to come into the house so i dont know if i will be able to make them stay out there for longer than a day or two....i am happy about the news, i would just hate to see the ducks go...i just dont know what to do [​IMG]

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Don't let the baby eat duck poop, you should be fine. [​IMG] People freak out about lots of things and feel the need to fear-monger a helpless pregnant person! I don't think having ducks is any more dangerous to you and the baby than having a cat pooping in a box in your house or playing in the backyard with dog and wild animal poop. Oh and CONGRATULATIONS! [​IMG]

3. KrazyKZ08

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    thank you! haha that is such a relief! i want them to be around for my kids when they get older too! I am just worried about everything right now. i have a lot of factors that made it impossible for this to happen, but here I am lol. I will try my best to work it out, and I am sure a lot of people on this forum have been successful with it before me. I think i'm just being over emotional [​IMG]

4. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I would keep them out for the first few months, just to be safe. Only let them in when they have diapers on. Them staying out for a while is not going to kill them.[​IMG]

5. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Oh and Congratulations!!! So awesome! [​IMG]

6. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I don't think the ducks would be a problem at all for you or the baby. Humans overwhelmingly get their diseases from other humans. Not from ducks.

I'd make your decision (ducks inside or outside) based on what you personally find manageable. Don't listen to people who tell you to get rid of them - they don't know what they are talking about.

Congratulations on your wonderful news!! [​IMG]

7. KrazyKZ08

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    thank you everyone!! [​IMG] i feel so much better :')

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by