Ducks and mushrooms?!? My duck ate one.

Jlw0903

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
266
422
171
Hey all. This morning when I let my ducks out to free range for a bit one of my roens straight up be lined it to a little white mushroom and before I could get to her (yelling was not effective) she ate the top of it off. Then she turned and went for the stem which I was able to prevent.
I am not exactly sure what kind it was (I know I've ID white dapperling in my yard but I don't know that it was the same type) it was just a single shrooms by itself so I didn't have another to do an identification with.
I like in south eastern Wisconsin (Walworth county) if anyone is familiar with the area.

Will ducks eat mushrooms that are poisonous for them? I know they really are kinda dumb so I don't trust they would know better. Should I be worried for my duck? What can I do to maintain her health if it was a bad mushroom?

Also found a few pleated inkpots in their run. Another duck investigated them but I don't think she ate them. I removed them from the pen obviously.
 
Every once in a while when I toss their old bedding out Mushrooms will come up in them and so far none of the poultry has eaten them.
Hopefully your Rouen is still acting normal and hasn't shown any ill effects from munching on it.
You can also go to "Where am I where are you" and look up your state and ask there about this partiucular type.
 
Every once in a while when I toss their old bedding out Mushrooms will come up in them and so far none of the poultry has eaten them.
Hopefully your Rouen is still acting normal and hasn't shown any ill effects from munching on it.
You can also go to "Where am I where are you" and look up your state and ask there about this partiucular type.
Thanks. She's actually seems to be doing just fine so it must have been an okay one for her to eat. Which I was really hoping for since she had 0 hesitation about it.
 
Hey all. This morning when I let my ducks out to free range for a bit one of my roens straight up be lined it to a little white mushroom and before I could get to her (yelling was not effective) she ate the top of it off. Then she turned and went for the stem which I was able to prevent.
I am not exactly sure what kind it was (I know I've ID white dapperling in my yard but I don't know that it was the same type) it was just a single shrooms by itself so I didn't have another to do an identification with.
I like in south eastern Wisconsin (Walworth county) if anyone is familiar with the area.

Will ducks eat mushrooms that are poisonous for them? I know they really are kinda dumb so I don't trust they would know better. Should I be worried for my duck? What can I do to maintain her health if it was a bad mushroom?

Also found a few pleated inkpots in their run. Another duck investigated them but I don't think she ate them. I removed them from the pen obviously.
I was worried about this for a while, we always get these odd mushrooms pop up- I did dome searching and found they were poisonous so I kept the ducks to the pen for a few weeks longer, the mushrooms had gone by this point, and I finally got to begin free ranging! Mine seem to taste check everything and leave it be. So I'm not too worried. Some ducks are less than sensible and gobble everything down.

As long as your girl is acting normal, I wouldn't panic! Keep an eye on her and see how she does.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Back
Top Bottom