Ducks and their babies. questions!

danafaith

In the Brooder
May 8, 2016
We have had our ducks for a little over a year now. 2 of the females have made a nest with their eggs and have been keeping them warm. At first we didn't know if the eggs, would hatch (one of the ladies has been sitting on her eggs off and on for a while now) We noticed one egg was kicked out, had a under developed duckling in it. So, now that we know there is a chance of babies.. What do we need to do. Once they hatch, do we take them away and put them under the heat lamp? (I only have had the ducks we have now from when they were babies) Do I need to worry about the dad or mom hurting them? Do I need to take away their pool? Any information would be so helpful!

Once they hatch, mama duck will keep her babies warm. Her & the babies should be kept separate from the other adult ducks. It's always possible other adult ducks will hurt/kill ducklings. You can leave them with access to a pool provided there's an easy way for mama duck to teach them how to get in & out. You might want to add a pile of bricks somewhere in the pool that is high enough for babies to climb on (to get out of the water) in case they get chilled. It doesn't take much for them to get chilled when they're young. Plus, their down soaks up water and they tire easily when young.

Good luck! Hope you end up with some healthy ducklings. :)

My Hen raised some Ducklings...I sold them all at 3 weeks old...She was not the best Mother...It was her first time...She over noodled them and they had missing patches of fluff...She bossed them out of the feed...Next time I will remove all the Ducklings from her once hatched or remove all eggs and incubate them in my incubator...She never even looked for them the day I sold them.....Its a tough decision to make...

Oh Always!!! Miss Lydia!!!

:lau:lau:lau:lau:lau

Actually,,,,, First year mothers are terrible mothers, I would wait and see how she does next year....

Second, Was that ok Miss Lydia??? I never mentioned what I would do!!!

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
images.jpg

Thanks for the help! Is there a point when you can introduce the young back into the mix? I currently have 1 male and two females.

If you are raising babies and want to integrate you need to wait till ducklings are same size as adults especially if you have a drake because drakes can injure young females trying to mate them and females shouldn't mate till close to laying age usually 4 months and older. If they are being raised by mom then keep mom and ducklings separated from the rest of the flock [drakes] till ducklings are around 3 weeks old and you have let them all live side by side so everyone has had a chance to meet and greet but no one can be injured. It's always best to introduce a drake to ducklings when free ranging so ducklings have plenty of space to stay out of dear old dads way. I'd be very cautious putting ducklings in a pen with a drake even with a mom present. Supervision always.

Thanks so much for your help! I just want this to be done right and for none of them to get hurt! Is it best to keep them with mom rather than separating them from mom? I can separate them with mom from the others in their area. and can the two moms be together?

Back
Top Bottom