Ducks anyone?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by justusnak, Mar 1, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I adopted a duck...im not sure what kind she is...she is grey, upright, with a fuzz ball on top her head, and a yellow breast. She is almost a year old, and lays her eggs all over the yard...not in one "nest" Anyone know what sort of duck che might be, and why she does this?

2. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not an expert on ducks...but I'd say it might be a least part runner duck if you say it's upright (by upright, I mean....looks like a bowling pin with legs).

The top knot on the head is a key thing --but I don't know. YOu might consider posting under OTHER POULTRY...as this is where ducks are typically discussed!

WELCOME TO BYC
    Sandra

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thanks...someone told me it MIGHT be an Indian Runner??? Not sure....we call her Mo...thought it was a male at first...but the eggs..LOL
    Now she is Mo nalisa! LOL

4. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Can you post a pic?

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

well...I have a few pics, but dont know how to post them here....can yopu help!?[​IMG]

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I hope this works [​IMG]
    They grey one is MO nalisa Any ideas what she might be?

7. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Neat pic, pretty girls!

The thing on her head is called a crest. She looks like a Blue Swedish duck, but with a crest so Crested Blue Swedish? Is that possible??

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

ok, now I have another question.....my little Mallard....is almost a year old....is it possible it could be a male.just hasnt gotten his colors yet?? I was out there yesterday with them...and the mallard was on top of the grey....trying to breed with her....Hmmmmm. I thought the mallard was a female!?? Just "spring issues"??? [​IMG]

9. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Your mallard is definately a female from her coloring. She may be trying to establish dominance - or it could just be spring!

10. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Females in all species will try to mount one another from time to time. I know this isnt poultry related, but we have a female German Sheperd that tries to mount our male black lab right before she goes into heat! (OFF TOPIC-- Anyone looking for a German Shepherd dog? She needs a home, as we were supposed to be 'watching' her for a friend, who has long since decided they no longer want 'the dog'. Anyone interested can email me?) Good luck with your sexually challenged duck! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by