Ducks are getting too noisy

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
A little info about our ducks first:
Colonel and Duchess are 2 years old and we've had them since they were ducklings so a noise issue with neighbors would have happened already if it was going to. Kaeda is 1 year old and our 3 youngsters are almost 6 months old. Despite having a drake, I do free range the ducks with chickens without problems.

Anyway, on to my problem.

Lately the ducks have been getting too noisy and I'm not sure why. The coop is secure, we let the dogs out every half hour during the day, there's no lights on, and the coop cam isn't picking up on any nearby noises that would cause them to freak out. The dogs would also let us know if there was something out there.

It only makes sense for them to quack so much when they hear or see us but when they quack at other times, nobody is awake.

Interesting! Once my flock goes in for the night I never hear a peep until the next morning when they hear the door open, Other than my 3 roosters who sound off once in a while. I hope someone else can help.

Interesting! Once my flock goes in for the night I never hear a peep until the next morning when they hear the door open, Other than my 3 roosters who sound off once in a while. I hope someone else can help.
It's quite annoying and worrisome for me as the neighbors could decide to report us for noise.

My dad is currently still looking for a house for us to move to that would provide enough space for us to keep the ducks and not have nearby neighbors.

How big is the coop?
I will go out and measure since my dad is still asleep.
We are currently housing them with the chickens due to the camera being in there. I'm also still making upgrades to their own coop so it isn't secure yet.
I just let everyone out so measuring the coop shouldn't be too hard since they won't be bugging me for treats.

I will go out and measure since my dad is still asleep.
We are currently housing them with the chickens due to the camera being in there. I'm also still making upgrades to their own coop so it isn't secure yet.
I just let everyone out so measuring the coop shouldn't be too hard since they won't be bugging me for treats.
My initial thought was that maybe now with the youngest ducklings reaching full size maybe it's a little crowded in there and they're getting a little noisier because of it. My ducks have a very large area, but anytime I have to put them in the smaller pen they get much noisier.

My son has three adult Pekins [1 male, 1 female and a very noisy crested female] in a 8ft x 4ft coup at night. A neighbor said that she heard them at 3am last week. Fortunately, the neighbor likes the ducks [giving her half dozen eggs every now and then helps] and she was at her back door looking for her cat when she heard my son's ducks.

We have no idea why they [or perhaps only the crested] was noisy at 3am. But I read that ducks are often restless during the night -- they don't necessarily sleep through.

In contrast, I have 2 juvenile muscovies and a male crested Pekin and they are almost silent. The muscovies occasionally cry but mostly don't make a noise; the crested Pekin makes male Pekin chattering sounds, but they are very soft.

Back
Top Bottom