Ducks are not laying...

My beloved has to step in if I get injured or make my rare away-from-home trips. He and the ducks have sorted out a good relationship - he talks to them, and is learning how to understand their communication. I have been a just get it done person for much of my life. And while there are duck-related duties, like room service (cleaning the night pen) and day pen prep that I can get through pretty darn quickly, I have learned that the ducks' behavior is more calm, and we get more eggs, when I just spend a few minutes chatting, listening to them a few times a day.

By the way - as prey animals, ducks are very nervous around someone who does not chat with them. I tell folks, friends are chatty, predators are silent. If a human just walks into their space silently, suddenly, and makes swift motions, it scares them. As silly as it may sound, I advise - no, I insist - that anyone spending time with my ducks makes quiet noises, and avoids sudden fast movement. Just humming a tune is all that's needed. Me? I talk like a crazy woman to the ducks, tell them about my day, ask them questions, act as if I am having a conversation with them. Hey, it keeps them contented, and I have a blast.

And I want to say, lftdnpwrstrokn, I applaud you for taking on the daily duck dooty. It can feel like thankless work. But you are doing it, in the southern heat, no less. Bravo!

I felt quite silly doing it, but yesterday morning when I got home at 0600, in the pitch dark w/ lightning flashing the sky, I chatted w/ the ducks. They chatted back. A good time was had by all :) Still didn't get an egg yesterday, but I feel that the ducks and I are coming to an understanding? When I fed them before leaving for work, I chatted w/ them again. I will let them out to forage today while I am working out in the yard. I have to work the bee hives, so I will be outside for quite awhile. Also in the process of getting more chicken pens built to separate the roosters, so the ducks will be able to run around in the yard for several hours.

Thank you. The heat/humidity is no joke here in the deep south (USA), but on the plus side, I have lost over 30 pounds this summer. So there is a bright side to everything.

I can only agree, I chat constantly to my ducks even to the point of calling out to them asking if they are ok. They are always chatting back to me. Even my new ducks have started chatting. Amiga has said it so very well

One last thing @Amiga and @Kleonaptra how much should I be feeding them? I haven't measured, but I have been giving the 20 ducks (11 juvenile/9 adults) roughly 6 quarts per day. Now that I am feeding them 2x per day, they are getting probably 8 quarts per day. Should I be feeding them more?

Btw: we've been feeding a Waterfowl specific feed and I have recently been adding a bit of laying feed in as well. The Waterfowl is expensive ($30 per 50 pound bag), but the GF insists on feeding it. I would love to feed a less expensive primary food and supplement w/ the Waterfowl, if this is an option?

I use kilos so I don't know how much good I will be to you. I feed mine morning and night, layer pellets and free range scratch mix. Mine also free range for insects etc. They get about 300 to 500g of both pellets and scratch morning and night between 13 ducks and 5 chickens, split over a few feed dishes to prevent bullying

I feed Countryside Organic layer, non-soy, non-corn, and it's about $30 a 50 pound bag, here. I forget how much Mazuri (a waterfowl-specific feed I am aware of) costs.

edit to add: The ingredients in the Countryside Organic look to be as high quality as Mazuri breeder ration.

Storey's Guide has a Suggested Feeding Schedule for Adult Ducks

Pekins are about 8 pounds, yes? And Anconas, maybe 6?

6-7 pound ducks, laying, 18% protein feed, 0.4 to 0.5 pounds per duck per day
8-9 pound ducks, laying, 18% protein feed, 0.45 to 0.6 pounds per duck per day

And, depending on which food (Mazuri, for example, is very light,so more cups per pound. The Countryside Organic is more dense - fewer cups per pound).

Now, I would not get worried about each Ancona getting her amount and each Pekin getting hers. Mercy, the "table manners" of ducks are appalling! But I'd set out enough food for everyone, maybe a couple extra cups, and see how they do. Ducks being how they are, some are bullies, some are bullied. If some ducks seem to hang back, there may be need for additional food bowls. I feed using no-tip dog bowls I got at the dollar store.

That way, everybody gets a place at the table. At times I have had to move the food bowls farther apart so Zehn, one of my Runners, would stop poking at ducks at both bowls. sigh.

Proud of you for all you are doing. You deserve a commendation. Really. I lived in Georgia heat most of my first 20 years.

For your GF's ankle - Comfrey salve, topical. Or, if y'all can just get ahold of fresh or dried comfrey (probably less expensive than salve), have her look up how to make a poultice, and put that on the ankle for an hour twice a day. I am not a doc, not a vet, just someone who's been on Earth a while, and my Appalachian grandmother taught me about home remedies, and I have learned more since then.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I just read this thread and ya'll cover some interesting things. My girls are approaching laying age and I'm looking forward to the first egg. I'm getting some conflicting information regarding what to feed. My ducks are free fed and they get Nutrena all flock. Based on what I've read, I'm thinking I'll stick with this feed and always have oyster shell available. Does that sound right?

fl.gif
@lftdnpwrstrokn - hope you get some eggs soon!

I feed Countryside Organic layer, non-soy, non-corn, and it's about $30 a 50 pound bag, here. I forget how much Mazuri (a waterfowl-specific feed I am aware of) costs.
That's what we feed. At the local feed/seed it is $30 per bag.

edit to add: The ingredients in the Countryside Organic look to be as high quality as Mazuri breeder ration.
I have never seen the Countryside around here.

Storey's Guide has a Suggested Feeding Schedule for Adult Ducks

Pekins are about 8 pounds, yes? And Anconas, maybe 6?
We've got 2 Pekins that are fat butts, they may be mixed w/ turkey? :) The other 2 Pekins are probably 6-8 pounds. Other than the two fat Pekins and the juvenile Anconas, the rest are about the same size.

6-7 pound ducks, laying, 18% protein feed, 0.4 to 0.5 pounds per duck per day
8-9 pound ducks, laying, 18% protein feed, 0.45 to 0.6 pounds per duck per day

And, depending on which food (Mazuri, for example, is very light,so more cups per pound. The Countryside Organic is more dense - fewer cups per pound).
Wow. I will have to take a scale out to the barn and weigh their feed, but I am almost positive I am not feeding them enough. At .5 pounds per day per duck, I would be feeding 10 pounds per day or 5 pounds per feeding. I don't think the bucket is that heavy?

Now, I would not get worried about each Ancona getting her amount and each Pekin getting hers. Mercy, the "table manners" of ducks are appalling! But I'd set out enough food for everyone, maybe a couple extra cups, and see how they do. Ducks being how they are, some are bullies, some are bullied. If some ducks seem to hang back, there may be need for additional food bowls. I feed using no-tip dog bowls I got at the dollar store.

That way, everybody gets a place at the table. At times I have had to move the food bowls farther apart so Zehn, one of my Runners, would stop poking at ducks at both bowls. sigh.
They eat courteously, I have never seen any fighting. I used to use bowls, but they always ended up flipping them over anyway; so, I just spread it across the ground. They don't seem to mind.

Proud of you for all you are doing. You deserve a commendation. Really. I lived in Georgia heat most of my first 20 years.
Thank you. I just came in from feeding and collecting eggs. I am sweating like a hog as I type this. :)

For your GF's ankle - Comfrey salve, topical. Or, if y'all can just get ahold of fresh or dried comfrey (probably less expensive than salve), have her look up how to make a poultice, and put that on the ankle for an hour twice a day. I am not a doc, not a vet, just someone who's been on Earth a while, and my Appalachian grandmother taught me about home remedies, and I have learned more since then.
hugs.gif

Thank you, but it is too late for that. She is in a cast w/ torn ligaments/tendons. Dr. is saying a minimum of a month in a cast, then 3 months in different shoes/boots/supports before she will be back on her feet.

Last edited:
I have been chatting w/ the ducks. Feeding 2x per day. Feeding about 1/4 more than the amount that I was feeding. (yes, I weighed it out). I also gave them some oatmeal this morning w/ their laying pellets. And, got 1 egg yesterday... These girls had better get it together or they are going to be roasted. LOL

Back
Top Bottom