Ducks are not laying...

That could certainly have an effect. Hows their calcium? Sometimes they need a boost of calcium and b1.
Earlier this year, mine took an egg holiday. On and on with no eggs. Going into winter. Starts getting cold. Usually my pekins lay all year, still no eggs. My mum in law said try some warm oatmeal, when its cold, its a great treat. I also know oats help the absorption of other nutrients. So I gave it a shot. 4 eggs the next day. Whenever they stop, they get warm oatmeal and start up again. Ducks love to be spoiled, and do their best producing when they feel like they have attention

Last edited:
That could certainly have an effect. Hows their calcium? Sometimes they need a boost of calcium and b1.
Earlier this year, mine took an egg holiday. On and on with no eggs. Going into winter. Starts getting cold. Usually my pekins lay all year, still no eggs. My mum in law said try some warm oatmeal, when its cold, its a great treat. I also know oats help the absorption of other nutrients. So I gave it a shot. 4 eggs the next day. Whenever they stop, they get warm oatmeal and start up again. Ducks love to be spoiled, and do their best producing when they feel like they have attention

I have been giving them a bit of oyster shell every few days. But, I will certainly try the oatmeal trick.

They also are sociial, and may be upset that your GF is not around.

She certainly is the one that takes the time to talk to and play w/ them. I am more about getting it done and moving on to the next task. I did start 2 a day feedings today. I fed them in the dark when I got in from work and then again before I left to come back to work. Hopefully this will help out and get them to laying again.

Ducks really do need a personal touch to thrive, and they must thrive to produce. Its one of the reasons their meat and eggs are so expensive, they simply wont be abused as chickens are. If we try to mass produce them that way, they stop producing.

Ducks really do need a personal touch to thrive, and they must thrive to produce. Its one of the reasons their meat and eggs are so expensive, they simply wont be abused as chickens are. If we try to mass produce them that way, they stop producing.

They don't seem to like me :( The girlfriend is certainly the Dr Doolittle around our mini farm. I am the get in there and get it done, no fuss no muss person. But, I am trying to be a softer, kindlier duck man. LOL

They don't seem to like me :(  The girlfriend is certainly the Dr Doolittle around our mini farm.  I am the get in there and get it done, no fuss no muss person.  But, I am trying to be a softer, kindlier duck man.  LOL

Lol. My partner is the same. He's only in charge one day a week. You should hear the complaints I get the next day. From the animals I mean!

Lol. My partner is the same. He's only in charge one day a week. You should hear the complaints I get the next day. From the animals I mean!

The original agreement was that she did all the daily chores and I did the manual labor. Well, since she is in a cast, I had to take over the daily chores, as well as doing the manual labor. None of us are happy about it, especially the animals. It is hot here in the GA summer and I get cranky sweating, so I am sure the critters are missing the girlfriend. :)

My beloved has to step in if I get injured or make my rare away-from-home trips. He and the ducks have sorted out a good relationship - he talks to them, and is learning how to understand their communication. I have been a just get it done person for much of my life. And while there are duck-related duties, like room service (cleaning the night pen) and day pen prep that I can get through pretty darn quickly, I have learned that the ducks' behavior is more calm, and we get more eggs, when I just spend a few minutes chatting, listening to them a few times a day.

By the way - as prey animals, ducks are very nervous around someone who does not chat with them. I tell folks, friends are chatty, predators are silent. If a human just walks into their space silently, suddenly, and makes swift motions, it scares them. As silly as it may sound, I advise - no, I insist - that anyone spending time with my ducks makes quiet noises, and avoids sudden fast movement. Just humming a tune is all that's needed. Me? I talk like a crazy woman to the ducks, tell them about my day, ask them questions, act as if I am having a conversation with them. Hey, it keeps them contented, and I have a blast.

And I want to say, lftdnpwrstrokn, I applaud you for taking on the daily duck dooty. It can feel like thankless work. But you are doing it, in the southern heat, no less. Bravo!

Back
Top Bottom