Ducks are party animals- help!

J1wrobel

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2020
We have 4 ducks and they have a lovely duck house that they WONT GO INTO AT NIGHT. We don’t get it. They just stay outside in the fenced in area (covered on all sides and safe from predators) all night. Can we train them? Their bedding is just straw and it’s well ventilated plus a couple tiny fans to keep the air moving. These chatty Cathys just want to stay up all night!

That is normal duck behavior, unlike chickens, ducks have evolved to sleep whenever they want, in the wild, this ultimately gives them an advantage since they have a wider range of hours to feed and forage, and can choose a more *safe* time to eat.

Here is something that might make you feel better, "according to a study by James K. Ringleman and Lester D. Flake. Publishing their results in a 1980 issue of "Journal of Wildlife Management. the pair documented a group of mallards and blue-winged teals (Anas discors), living in a South Dakota wetland area. In most cases, as young ducklings aged, they slept -- and groomed -- for longer periods than their younger counterparts did."

I tempted them in with blueberries. And now when I go out to the pen as it’s getting dark, they are usually already in their coop.

But they still want their treats so they run out of their coop and into the pen when they see me coming, acting like they had been there the whole time, and then wait for me to toss the blueberries in their coop to get them in again 🙄

I tempted them in with blueberries. And now when I go out to the pen as it’s getting dark, they are usually already in their coop.

But they still want their treats so they run out of their coop and into the pen when they see me coming, acting like they had been there the whole time, and then wait for me to toss the blueberries in their coop to get them in again 🙄

They've trained you well.

If your run is truly predator proof, then they should be fine. Our duckhouse is connected to our predator proof run, and they have the choice to be in or out (unless it's a real blizzard and -20F). A couple like to sleep inside most of the night, and all the girls go in to lay in the early morning. A few like to be out 24/7 in all weather! DUCKS! :)

Back
Top Bottom