Ducks at night.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thumper650, May 20, 2019.

1. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hot wire around the pen perimeter would provide an extra layer of protection.

WannaBeHillBilly and quackiemama like this.
  2. McChics

McChics Songster

Apr 10, 2015
    WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  3. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    If a larger bear decides for a duck or chicken meal, almost nothing will stop it. Not even the poultry owner, who must be careful not to end up as the main courseā€¦

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Jeepers it's a decision only you can make. Definitely do what you feel completely comfortable with...:frow

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

We have some that have been coming around since there really isn't a lot for them to eat right now. I am just thank ful we put up no climb horse fencing at least they can't get their big feet into the fence like the welded wire that they just tore down. @McChics it says it's 2" apart ? Weasels and mink can get through 1" I wouldn't let anyone out over night.

6. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    A skirt of pavers will not stop diggers. They can easily move them aside (I regularly see my own dogs move large rocks when digging in the yard). If you add a welded wire or hardware cloth skirt that lays flat on the ground, 18 inches out, around the perimeter of your run it will be substantially more secure. My ducks love to spend the night in their run. They go in and out of their house at will and often choose to sleep out in the run. Ducks are quite active at night and like to party after dark. I do think that their commotion draws in predators at times though and there are nights I choose to lock them in their house when the weather is particularly bad or I know a predator's been lurking about. I don't want to temp predators and test my fence. I don't want the predators hanging around on a regular basis. I want them to move on and make somewhere else their hunting and breeding grounds. All that being said, your ducks will be quite happy hanging out in their run all night if you can make it a bit more secure!

7. McChics

McChics Songster

Apr 10, 2015
    For what it's worth, I've seen recommendations to run chicken wire or construction cloth around the bottom of the run as well. I thought this was silly, but the mate to the duck I just got yesterday was killed while in a dog pen. It was sleeping next to the fence and was pulled through the fence by the predator leaving only feathers. Don't read any further if this stuff bothers you. The frightening thing is the duck was much larger than the opening in the fence, and the predator got all of it but a few feathers.

This happened when the other owner opted to not close them up in another pen at night.

8. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    True, I was just curious if them being exposed could attract more predators. I'll probably keep locking them up. I would be devastated, and it's not worth it. They can party inside at night!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: