ducks at night

Mine do not get food or water of a night time. They get feed from 8 to 8 as much as they want to eat but none at night. I stop their food and water at about 2 to 3 months old. To much darn mess to clean up in the monring

When they get hot enough that they will drink over what they can handle. More or less causes water poisining basicly. If its too hot and your water runs dry then refill it they can drink until it kills them in cases. I have seen them die within 10 minutes from it and you cant fix it once it takes place. That is the very reason I never let any of my ducks run out of water at any time. It mainly happens with younger ducklings.

I have just come in from cleaning out the night pens for the week- its a stinky mess at times- but its just part of duck ownership. Its really only just around the water container that gets really bad- but I give that a quick clean up every second day. A few quick scoops and spread a handful of hay again and its done. In winter I dont give them enough water for them to make too much mess in- just enough that they can all have a drink after eating and again during the night as required. Its usually empty in the morning. I use a bucket inside of a lower wide shaped container to help catch some of the mess. During the summer though- I fill the bucket and most of the mess dries up pretty quickly anyway. Mine have an area about 8 by 20 feet and move around alot during the night since they dont sleep like other birds - but in a small area like a dog house- they can raise the humidity alot just breathing. . Especially when they are laying- I dont want them getting dehydrated during the night.

Back
Top Bottom