ducks at night

grandmafarmer

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
I have 3 pekin ducks, one is three months old, the other two are 2 months. When I put them in for the night,(they are residing in the chicken coop, they came before the chickens who are now a month old) Should I put food in with their water or just water at night? I have been putting both. As you can guess in the morning there is food and water everywhere. Just wondering what you all do for your ducks at night. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
And I keep feed and water available 24/7
smile.png

Once they were a few months old, I removed water from their night pen (food was removed a little before then).
I'm contemplating putting it back in since it is so darn toasty at night now.

Depending on where you live and the heat factor right now it may be in your best interest to keep at least water 24/7. They can dehydrate quickly and waterlog when you give fresh water if they have been without even for short periods. Waterlogging can have devastating fatal consequences with ducks.

We do not put food and water in the coop at night for our ducks. We just have to give them their feed in the morning after letting them out and then they head to their pool. Works great and no stinky wet coops.
I need to figure out a watering system during the summer for hot nights.

Last edited:
Ours actually stay out all night in their enclosure and have the option to go into their coop, which has a small-ish opening. They have food and water all the time as well. But we have 17 ducks all together. So far they've been fine in such a large group as far as predators go, but you never know. I'm getting ready to start building a coop for my girl who's just recovered from a wound (was out with only two other ducks) and was put back outside today. But she's not getting along well with the others sofar, so I'm worried about her safety.
hmm.png

Quote:
I didn't do the water at night for a while...then I thought about how dang hot it will be here soon, and I put in a waterer over a raised grating so they would have a more comfortable night overall. I took a picture and its on my BYC page...I took the picture before I moved the waterer to the corner and put the raised grate underneath...but you can get the idea. So far this system works much better than the other waterers I was using because they can't kick it over and the water level is adjusted low enough to avoid extra messy waste. Having the water in the coop helps cut down on the AM noise too, they gare thirsty and therefore noisy in the morning if they go without. In mild weather, water and food at night is not necessary.

welcome-byc.gif
grandmafarmer!!

I only put water in at night if it's humid. This summer has been the coolest we've ever had I think so we haven't been watering at night or leaving in any food. But we don't have auto feeders, we feed once in the morning and once at night. They also get plenty of other stuff from us or the neighbors (fruit, veggies, leftovers, etc) so they have no reason to be hungry.

I don't like water in the coops at night (one for chickens, one for ducks) because of the mess. They tend to make more of a mess early in the morning, especially if we don't get out there on time to let them out.

Thanks for all the help and information about food and water at night. It has been so hot here (in the 90's) and does not cool off much at night that is the main reason I giving them water at night but I think I will stop the food. Just one more question...what is waterlogging?

Back
Top Bottom