Ducks won't leave small pond at night.

jmurno

Chirping
Jul 9, 2022
Vermont
So, it started out fine. They would put themselves to bed in their mobile coop. But now they won't leave the water at night. I had to go into the pond and chase them out. Last night I gave up and let them just sleep on the water all night.

I should add it is a very small pond. only about 12ft across.

If I let them sleep on the water they will get eaten right? Owls...weasels....

They are meat ducks. A month and a half old. So probably around 5lbs right now.

Not sure what the problem is. My egg layer ducks always put themselves to bed faithfully.

Any thoughts? Could they safely sleep on the water all night? If not, ideas for how to get them off the water?

Thanks

Best bait to feed your ducks at night ..lettuce.. seedless grapes.. scratch? Probably any greens.. I'm just yelling at them and it's just making me more frustrated that they won't go in at night. I have a long PVC pipe that I use but they got smart and realized it doesn't reach the other side of the pond lol so yeah i didn't think about it before but now I look to you all for advice.. I'm getting ideas thanks to you guys and laser pointer, I'm not sure if I'll try that one but it's a funny thought. Were going to change up the layout of the duck habitat. As well as new mobile a frame to replace the fixed area of our chicken run so can't wait for all of it to look better next year. Maybe it will be easier on the ducks. Anyway thanks for all your thoughts

Not long ago someone had a video of an owl sweeping across their pond and snatching their duck right out of the water. I'd say there would be videos online of this happening. Ducks on a pond day and night are very vulnerable but at night maybe even more so. Most domestics can't fly so any predator that swims has an easy meal.

Back
Top Bottom