Ducks attacking dog

jlf111769

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2022
My mom has a 2 year old Chihuahua that has come in to heat. My 9 month old Ronin drake lately has been attacking the dog on sight. Now my year old runner drake has tried to attack the dog through the fence. It has gotten bad enough we had to pen up the Ronin drake. Can anyone explain what's going on or have any ideas to fix this problem.

Drakes a notorious for wanting to mate with other animals even us like our feet or legs so what you are seeing is normal behavior. And they also see some animals as a threat too. So best thing to do is keep dog and drakes separated from each other. This time of year hormones are surging and to keep any one from being hurt it is just best to keep them apart.

Sorry for the delay. Yes the dog gets put up at night. Unfortunately we have been pinning up the duck during the day when the dog is out. Even as late as this evening, mom and the dog was at the back door and "ducky" snuck in and got a hold of the dog.

Try your best to keep them apart. Drakes are pretty stupid when it comes to what is a threat and what isn't and if your dog is losing his or her patience with this character your drake may end up bitten small dogs can inflict serious injuries too.

Last edited:
My ducks have attacked my terrier mix and tried to have it go at my Chihuahua. Luckily nobody has been hurt, but the terrier gave the old babbity bap to the usual suspect (Hennifer Lopez) and we hoped it was a one-time incident but it happened again the very next day. They are no longer allowed to occupy the yard at the same time. We have no idea what triggered it. If it was before Hennifer first started laying or she was just unable to resist Muffin. But they now have beef. 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

My mid size mix got tired of my gander nipping her on the butt and she grabbed him around the neck thank goodness she didn’t bite down but after that the geese got trained not to mess with the dogs when they were all together and that was only during times when we supervised

Back
Top Bottom