ducks back claw torn off what do I do?

Rosewarrior

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 1, 2011
I have a female welsh Harlequin, and her back left claw just got torn off. Is this natural? She was standing on one leg, and I went to pet her and noticed some blood on the floor I when I touched the claw, it fell off. I stopped the blood and put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. Is there anything else I should do? She's walking around and playing normally. Please help me.
Thanks in advance,
Rosewarrior

She should be ok. Roosters back claws are often removed. Im not positive but i believe they grow back.

Ok, thanks, I though it might be a normal part of a ducks life, but I just wanted to check and be sure.

Is it just the claw or the actual toe? If its just the claw it will grow back. You don't need to do anything special. Just try to keep the duck area as clean as is reasonably possible.

If it is the whole toe then I'd wash it each day and put antiseptic solution or cream on it. Keep her separate on fresh straw (changed daily) till it looks like it's healing. Leg wounds can get infected and then you are looking at a three week course of antibiotic tablets from the vet. The good thing about a toe injury is that it's not right on the ground. Much better prospects for it healing fine than a wound under the foot.

No it's just the claw, and she's an indoor ducky she wears a diaper so my house stays clean. I love to have her watch movies with me! We snuggle and she usually falls asleep next to me.
But I did put some troiple antibiotic ointment on it just to keep any infection at bay.
Thank you both for clearing that up for me, I really appreciate it!
Have a safe and Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays!
big_smile.png

She should be absolutely fine then
smile.png
She might limp for a while as it will be sensitive but it will heal itself up within a few weeks and she'll grow a new claw.

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays to you too!
big_smile.png

I have a 3 month old Pekin duck (1 of 8) with a back talon (or nail) which is broken halfway. The break is at the top of the nail, and it seems all that is intact is the tissue beneath the nail. There is a light bleed there, that I fear may not heal unless nail is removed completely. So, it's hanging. She's favoring he other foot. Should I tear it off? Cut it off, and apply first aid? It would seem it may fall all the way off in time, but meanwhile I'm sure it's quite annoying. 4 of the other ducks have decided to announce they are males. The do get a bit forceful in the kiddy pool. Should I be separating her to lessen her load?

My WH broke her back nail, it was twisted 180 dg pointing up instead of down. It was still very much attached to the tissue by about half the nail. Cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and sprayed with veterycin a few times throughout the day for about a week. During that week it changed station a couple of times and eventually fell completely off. If it's connected to tissue a good deal and not bleeding profusely, I'm a fan of being proactive against infection and letting the rest happen naturally. As far as separating, as long as the other ducks aren't pecking at the nail, her leg, she should be fine. If they seem to be focused on the wound and/or bullying her....I would separate. If separation stresses her and they ARENT actively bothering the nail/foot/leg, I would leave them all be. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom