Ducks being killed

It could be a number of things, depending on where you are. it sounds very much like a raccoon though, especially if you caught one near by. I know how you feel, yesterday morning the 2 rouen ducks I take care of for a friend where missing, and I found one laying in the grass, the entrails had been eaten but the rest of the body was untouched. We have a family of raccoons living in our woods, so that's probably what killed them.

Ok I wish I would've taken these precautions sooner! Thanks
How is your Pekin doing? you'd be surprised how many predators there are living in cities and towns. I just heard of a Coyote being caught in New York city so there you have it,. Predators are every where. I like for my flock to be outside too [during the day] but everyone is in way before dark because most preds are beginning to move around before dark.

How is your Pekin doing? you'd be surprised how many predators there are living in cities and towns. I just heard of a Coyote being caught in New York city so there you have it,. Predators are every where. I like for my flock to be outside too [during the day] but everyone is in way before dark because most preds are beginning to move around before dark.
very very shaken up it won't stop hyperventilating and it can't even quack right now so I'm treating it a little inside but my friend is taking it tonight because he has a whole flock....going to miss it.

I caught a racoon red-handed trying to carry away one of my ducks, the hole in the cage was only 4 inches wide but he was able to pull her by her neck through the hole. Racoons are mean and will try to come back over and over. They make electric poultry fencing and that can help but a strong completely closing house is best. You want to make sure there is a lock as well because coons are smart and figure out how to open up d rings and even locking d rings. I hope you don't lose any more ducks =(

I build this house out of 2x4s, t1-11, a lot of small holed fencing and rubber mats.the doors are locked with padlocks and a cheap amazon motion light have keeper my ducks safe since the last attack. I watched the racoon try several time to get in but he failed everytime. Then I got an electric fence and now he can't even get near the house. =)

I caught a racoon red-handed trying to carry away one of my ducks, the hole in the cage was only 4 inches wide but he was able to pull her by her neck through the hole. Racoons are mean and will try to come back over and over. They make electric poultry fencing and that can help but a strong completely closing house is best. You want to make sure there is a lock as well because coons are smart and figure out how to open up d rings and even locking d rings. I hope you don't lose any more ducks =(

I build this house out of 2x4s, t1-11, a lot of small holed fencing and rubber mats.the doors are locked with padlocks and a cheap amazon motion light have keeper my ducks safe since the last attack. I watched the racoon try several time to get in but he failed everytime. Then I got an electric fence and now he can't even get near the house. =)
Wow!! I'm impressed that is quite the setup I'll have to get something more like that if I consider trying something like this again. Considering the raccoon (or whatever it was) ate the head and hid the body under the propane tank I'm guessing it's coming back. So I got my yard full of traps this raccoon is not getting away with this!!!

Sorry about your heartbreak,
I lost most of my first batch of ducks when I first started my hobby farm to predators. In my experience it sounds like raccoon. Coyote and I suspect bobcat are always moving and will grab an entire bird and run off with it. One benefit, if you can capture/kill one of these predators, it will be a little while before another one moves into it's territory. My solution was to build a more sturdy duck house ("Quack Shack") and put the flock away at dusk. I have not lost a duck in two winters now (winter is when predators are most active).

Rich

Nice house. and very good info.

Back
Top Bottom