Duck's Bill "Growth"

Quack, one of my Buff Orpington ducks, has in the last month developed a growth of sorts on her bill. (See pic) After researching this forum and via Google, I'm still unsure as to what it is, why it formed or, most importantly, how to treat it.

She exhibits no other symptoms with the growth; no pain, no tenderness, no listlessness, no loss of appetite, etc... Just the growth (so far). The growth itself is obviously darker than the rest of her bill and typically wetter (slicker?); ever so slightly elevated.

We have had a change in seasons out here in CA with quite a bit of rain and she and her running mate have been extensively hunting bugs, slugs, etc...

Anybody have Buffs - or other ducks - that have experienced this type of issue? Remedies? Insights? I'm a long term chicken owner so duck illnesses and issues are new to me.

Any advice/help would be very appreciated.

- Hotspurious

Quack_zpsw1kjlayt.jpg

I would suggest Turmeric - asap- get powdered or fresh and make a paste- I know it works on any fungus, etc

Yeah ive been researching photos and websites since you posted on and off and i CANT find anything close

Closest is a scratch like a sharp point or nail drug accross the bill, Barbed wire fence or something

Whats your fence material?
Whats your coop built out of?
Electric fence?
Do you check them and look closely at them everyday?

These are scratches i found online it seams mabye after their healed they end up looking like what you have but iam sure you wouldve seen wounds when they were fresh

Can you get a picture or look on the inside of the bill? The roof of his mouth basicaly

I swear it looks like something bit it and drug its teeth down his bill

One more waaay out of the box idea is when i cut wood the resin drips right out of balsa pine and fur trees and dries like epoxy on me... Just a thaught

But im no expert just trying to help

Attachments

• bird5.jpg
    bird5.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 8
  • bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 9
  • swanfig16.jpg
    swanfig16.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I just did a lot of research on this and here is what I found. Do NOT google it unless you have a TOUGH stomach. Aviary can contract "nasal leeches" from certain water and surrounding areas. I am not sure if this is what is going on, but just a guess. A vet would know for sure. Basically, the leeches attach to their bill because it's an easy place to latch on. They make their way up the nose. Have the 'spots' moved at all? nasal_leeches_redhead.jpg

In your original picture, your ducky's eyes look a little red in the corners. Is this true or just the lighting? That could be a sign of a bigger issue going on overall.
Ya, I think that that's just lighting. She's doing great, splashing around in puddles today having fun in the rain. Just the odd 'growths'.

Yeah ive been researching photos and websites since you posted on and off and i CANT find anything close

Closest is a scratch like a sharp point or nail drug accross the bill, Barbed wire fence or something

Whats your fence material?
Whats your coop built out of?
Electric fence?
Do you check them and look closely at them everyday?

These are scratches i found online it seams mabye after their healed they end up looking like what you have but iam sure you wouldve seen wounds when they were fresh

Can you get a picture or look on the inside of the bill? The roof of his mouth basicaly

I swear it looks like something bit it and drug its teeth down his bill

One more waaay out of the box idea is when i cut wood the resin drips right out of balsa pine and fur trees and dries like epoxy on me... Just a thaught

But im no expert just trying to help
Thought about that as well. Their aviary is an extension of - not connected with a passthrough - the chicken house. There is chicken wire on some sides (We don't want Mr. Racoon stopping in for a late night visit!) and I'm wondering if that has something to do with the 'growths'.

Maybe she scratched her bill and that's how it's... healing? Don't rightly know but she's off to the vet tomorrow for a look. More to follow...

Back
Top Bottom