Ducks bills and legs are pale ??

veramadera

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 17, 2017
Hi all,

I have two little runner ducks, about 10 month old. They laid like gangbusters up until about a month ago, when their shells started getting thinner. I assumed they were just done for the season, and indeed they stopped laying altogether a week and a half ago. Now they look extremely pale in the bills and legs - previously bright yellow - and their feathers look a bit ragged. Is this a normal thing, or should I be concerned about a deficiency? I re-feed egg shells for calcium, and feed a high protein layer crumble. Thanks!

I was hoping someone would answer you because I have been dealing with the same eggshell problem for a few months. I have three Khaki hens and two drakes. Mine are about a year older than yours. My oldest hen has trouble with thin shells. One of the other girls often lays rubber eggs. The third has no problems. I think you and I both have a nutrient deficiency. Maybe if we compare what we do we can solve it for both of us.
I feed a mix of layer feed pellets and game bird breeder crumble, both made by Co op. I also add a small amount oats and high quality cat kibble. They get thawed peas and corn as treats in the morning, lettuce or greens as well. At bedtime they get dried mealworms. I also clean and dry their old egg shells but I also keep oyster shell out for them. Any similarities?

Pale bills and legs when not laying is normal... they'll brighten up again just before they start laying again...

As for thin shells/shell-less eggs, if they aren't eating the oyster shell or they have a calcium absorption issue, then getting them on calcium citrate or calcium gluconate could be beneficial... only supplement with one of these while they are laying though...

The answer to the paleness, as well as the problem with the shells is the same. Low calcium. It’s not necessarily a deficiency, it’s just that it’s the end of their laying cycle. Though it does seem that a better layer feed or oyster shells/crushed and dried egg shells would be a good idea.

Thanks so much for the information. I'll add some oyster shells to the mix and see if that helps. I feed a locally made layer crumble that has always worked well for my girls, plus lots of vegetable trimmings and cuttings from the garden. I'm in Albuquerque, and spring is already springing. I let them all out today to forage for bugs and dandelion greens. They have lots of energy and are acting just as ducky as usual.

Just FYI, the bill and leg paleness has nothing to do with calcium... that part is directly related to what causes the deeper colored yolks they lay... I can't remember offhand what it is exactly, but it's in the vitamins/minerals/nutrients type of class...

Oh, that's interesting. I have noticed yolks getting paler as the year went on. Any ideas of what to focus on in terms of replenishing their system?

Oh, that's interesting. I have noticed yolks getting paler as the year went on. Any ideas of what to focus on in terms of replenishing their system?

Yolks *shouldn't* get paler, the bills and legs do because they pull the needed nutrients out of their bodies for their eggs... going pale during their breaks is normal...

Just focus on a complete balanced diet and they should be just fine... extra calcium supplement after they begin laying *if needed*...

I can't remember exactly what it is that causes the color, I will see if I can find it again for you... was just stating it's the same thing that colors the bill, legs and yolks... :)

Pale bills and legs when not laying is normal... they'll brighten up again just before they start laying again...

As for thin shells/shell-less eggs, if they aren't eating the oyster shell or they have a calcium absorption issue, then getting them on calcium citrate or calcium gluconate could be beneficial... only supplement with one of these while they are laying though...
Thank you! That’s makes so much sense. My hen with the thin shells has been laying continuously for the last year and a half, she has only missed a few days. She must be worn out!
How do you give them the calcium citrate or gluconate? How much? Can I mix it with tomatoes and hand feed the two girls that need it?
Is the yolk color from carotenes? Seems like I read something about corn based feed giving darker yolks but I am not sure.

Back
Top Bottom