Ducks biting each other

Lackey84

Hatching
May 22, 2017
Hello, I'm looking for a little advice. We have 3 pekins about 6 weeks old. I went to check on them today and it looks like one of them is biting the other on the wings enough to bleed. I'm not really sure why or what to do.
20170522_172502.jpg

That's no good! Do you know who's biting? You still got a light on them? Is it crowded? Do they have enrichment (things to bite on/forage in that aren't their siblings)?

Put some Blue Kote on that. It will stain the area so it doesn't look red and tasty, and it's also an antiseptic. How deep is that wound?

They have a pretty big house for 3 birds and an 8x12 run they can exercise in. We also let them out when we are outside. They don't have a light. We know which one is biting. It's funny because the one who is bitten is the largest by far. We brought the injured duck in and cleaned it up. It's seperate for now until it's healed.

They have a pretty big house for 3 birds and an 8x12 run they can exercise in. We also let them out when we are outside. They don't have a light. We know which one is biting. It's funny because the one who is bitten is the largest by far. We brought the injured duck in and cleaned it up. It's seperate for now until it's healed.

I'd get the blue kote TSC carries it. That way you can keep them all together. If this one is being singled out it might make it worse to keep him from the group., Blue kote will disguise the wound and help it heal.

You mean if you like one more than another? I don't think so.

Sometimes when we have to remove a duck from the flock though it can be hard to reintroduce them back into with out going through a time of having them be side by side with fencing in between. So if at all possible it's best to keep them together. Now if you notice this one being picked on again then you may have to step in if they are pulling out more feathers. Make sure your ducklings get plenty of time to forage and play like ducks. That can help on picking.

The only time they are in their house is between 9pm-5am. They are in the run for the day while at work and the yard for a couple hours once home. I don't feel like they are crowded. I tired to make sure they had more than the minimum room when I built their place.

@Lackey84 It has to do with so many aspects of duck life there seems to always be an under dog. It has nothing to do with your set up most likely.

Hopefully it was just a one time thing and once you put the blue kote on it will not happen again. Now if you want to see some serious dominance you need to come here. lol

I have a Muscovy drake and an Embden gander who most of the time live closely with out incident until Hormones kick in with the gander it's in Jan each year he pushes the drake around nothing serious because the drake stays out of his way, then come May things begin to change the drakes hormones are at full speed ahead and the ganders are winding down for the year, so 2X already this week I have had to go out and get my drake off my ganders back literally my gander is running around with a huge Muscovy Drake on his back because the drake doesn't let up. So they have to be kept separate from here on out till fall when the Muscovy starts to settle down again. Whew. Always interesting when you have birds.

Oh and FYI Blue kote in the dauber is much better than in the spray, and make sure you have on old clothes before applying it turns anything it touches purple. That I why is is so awesome to use on birds injuries it totally disguises the wound.

Sometimes also when growing in the blood feathers on the wings they bleed...Add a bit more protein to the diet...Dry cat food is excellent as a source of protein....I use the fish based dry cat food...Feathers are protein...:frow

Also Ducks are not cannibals like Chickens so I use a clear antiseptic spray on wounds...Ducks are not attracted to the colour red...The Blu-kote just makes a mess out of the Duck and you....

Best wishes.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom