ducks breeding....

shadust1

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
loretto, pa
my two month old peking ducks were in there pool the other day and the one climbed up on top of the other one....lmao...i thought it was just trying to get past it but it actually got on top of it and the other one kinda sank to the bottom of the pool..lol...it wasnt on there for more then a couple seconds but my question is...was it trying to mount it to have sex or what...lol....how old r they when they start that stuff...lol...thanks!!!

woot.gif
gofasterstripe....im pretty sure they r male and female...there quacks r totally opposite...one is a high pitched and the other is a low one...so im thinking that they were trying to mate...plus the one is very protective of the other...lol....he chases the dog away...i think it is cute...

If they are only 2 months old they aren't trying to mate exactly, they are more likely just going through the motions. Mating or mounting each other is the main way ducks have to establish dominance. Ducks have a pecking order too, and they start trying to set down a hierarchy by 'mating' each other. Females will do it to other females and males will do it to other males to show who is boss, and it sounds to me like that is what is going on with your ducks. Don't worry about it, and when puberty hits they'll already have the technique down for the real thing.

I have 2 pekin females that are just over a year old-it makes sense to be a dominance thing because they assume that position all the time-pretty interesting when I have company over!

Mine just always took turns. I don't think it was a dominance thing for them.
Even now with just Ally and Cadbury, they seem to invite it on and trade who's on top. I have weird ducks
roll.png

thanks for all of the replies....makes me feel better....they r my babies and im not ready for any of that stuff...:lauplus my boyfriend says that a ducks genetalia is not a pretty site...he said looks like a corkscrew:lau...

like u all said probably just a dominence thing going on...when we went outside lastnight to check on them there were white feathers everywhere but they were ok...its really funny how they throw a fit if one is on the other side of the chicken coop and the other one is still inside the greenhouse how they squack because they arent side by side....then when they get side by side they kinda rub beaks:hugs...like they missed each other...i could never imagine something happening to one of them...i would have to be the other duck..lol...it would be devistating....

i love my "sh*itz n giggles"
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom