Ducks Causing Problems

Clucky_Ellie123

Chirping
Jun 30, 2021
Australia
So a friend of mine asked me to take care of her ducks (a Khaki Campbell and two Perkins) while she went away. i have four chickens as well so we thought they might get along. However, as soon as the ducks saw the chickens, they tried to bite their combs and push them with their bills. I was going to keep them together but it definitely did not work out. The ducks kept eating the chickens’ food and “attacking” them. They were also really loud whenever they saw the chickens and because I live in an urban area, the neighbours were not happy with all the quacking. I told my friend and she gave one of the louder Perkins away, which helped a little with the noise.

I decided to separate them and put the ducks on a concrete area, but someone said that duck droppings will stain the concrete so I moved them onto a part of my yard and put some suitcases and nets around the area. However, the ducks kept hiding in their pen after I moved them and they barely ate anything.

The ducks are also VERY skittish around me and they quack and run away as soon as the see me approach.

I also noticed a small cut on the Pekin duck’s foot. It’s not very deep, but I think she cut her foot on a piece of glass.

I‘m worried that the chickens or ducks might get injured if they keep fighting and does anyone know how to get them to shut up or maybe not freak out when they see me? I’ve never kept ducks before so advice is appreciate.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Sorry to have to tell you this, but ducks are loud. There is no way to keep them quiet.

I don't know how long you are watching these ducks, but integrating birds and gaining their trust all takes time. It can take weeks or even months to integrate 2 flocks. If you are not watching them that long, integrating them is not worth it.

As for the skiddish behavior, they don't know you and don't trust you yet. Ducks don't like change and it can be stressful on them. It takes time to earn their trust. I would maintain a routine for them. Move calm and slow around them. Depending on how long you are watching them, it also may not be worth trying to win their trust. Treats often help though. You can ask your friend their favorite treat.

As for the cut foot, it may have come from walking on the concrete. It is very hard on their feet and can cause bumblefoot, especially in Pekin.

Sorry. I am sure this is not what you were hoping to hear. If you are keeping them long term, then I can give you some more info.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but ducks are loud. There is no way to keep them quiet.

I don't know how long you are watching these ducks, but integrating birds and gaining their trust all takes time. It can take weeks or even months to integrate 2 flocks. If you are not watching them that long, integrating them is not worth it.

As for the skiddish behavior, they don't know you and don't trust you yet. Ducks don't like change and it can be stressful on them. It takes time to earn their trust. I would maintain a routine for them. Move calm and slow around them. Depending on how long you are watching them, it also may not be worth trying to win their trust. Treats often help though. You can ask your friend their favorite treat.

As for the cut foot, it may have come from walking on the concrete. It is very hard on their feet and can cause bumblefoot, especially in Pekin.

Sorry. I am sure this is not what you were hoping to hear. If you are keeping them long term, then I can give you some more info.
Ok. Thanks for the information. I'm keeping them for a few months so probably until the start December. They are still skittish around me unless I have treats but I understand that it takes time to earn their trust. Do you know how the ducks might be able to get along with my chickens?

Ok. Thanks for the information. I'm keeping them for a few months so probably until the start December. They are still skittish around me unless I have treats but I understand that it takes time to earn their trust. Do you know how the ducks might be able to get along with my chickens?
Treats are the way to a ducks' heart. They should settle down in time as they get use to their new surroundings and new routine. Keep giving them treats and they will start to come around.

I do agree if you have a drake, integration is a bad idea for your chickens. People do integrate ducks and chickens. Start with where they can see each other but not interact. You can also do this in the coop as well, putting a barrier between them. A dog crate works well in the coop at night. After a week or 2 they can start to share the area during the day. Multiple food and water sources help during this time. You can provide your chickens places to hide. The ducks are not going to jump up and perch on anything. After another week or 2 they should be able to then share the coop at night. It can always take longer.

The more space they have, the less likely they will have problems. That being said, it is molting season, and ducks can be a bit agitated during that time.

@Miss Lydia has her ducks and chickens living together and can provide you with some more insight.

Ducks and chickens are different sorts of birds.

Ducks are messy and make everything wet. Chickens need things dry.

Not to mention that if any of the ducks are male they can potentially kill a chicken trying to mate with them. They have different anatomy than roosters.
Thank you. Luckily, they are both female ducks, but the ducks are definitely making everything messy and VERY wet in the chicken run.

Treats are the way to a ducks' heart. They should settle down in time as they get use to their new surroundings and new routine. Keep giving them treats and they will start to come around.

I do agree if you have a drake, integration is a bad idea for your chickens. People do integrate ducks and chickens. Start with where they can see each other but not interact. You can also do this in the coop as well, putting a barrier between them. A dog crate works well in the coop at night. After a week or 2 they can start to share the area during the day. Multiple food and water sources help during this time. You can provide your chickens places to hide. The ducks are not going to jump up and perch on anything. After another week or 2 they should be able to then share the coop at night. It can always take longer.

The more space they have, the less likely they will have problems. That being said, it is molting season, and ducks can be a bit agitated during that time.

@Miss Lydia has her ducks and chickens living together and can provide you with some more insight.
Thank you!

Ducks are very messy. I don't have a run just fenced-in property for my flock but around my buckets of water I put down river rock, it's flat and can't hurt their feet. and it really keep the mess down. I would not put any swimming water inside the run. Do your birds have time out of the run? if so then a kiddy pool for the ducks could be set up outside of the run. I don't even try to use chicken waterers. All my flock chickens ducks and geese use buckets for water. Putting the ducks and chickens together right off is not a good idea because the resident flock of chickens look at the ducks as intruders and the ducks are not easily accepted plus they are frightened now because they are in an unfamiliar place.
all of this takes a bit of time and patience but it can work out. Even though my flock have all been together for years, there are still squabbles especially with my Muscovy drake he loves to snatch feathers out of a chicken that may get a bit too close. I have made my drinking buckets with lids and cut a hole in the top so the waterfowl can dunk their heads but not splash all the water out of the buckets and it also gives my bantam chickens a place to stand while drinking. I can get pics if your interested.

Back
Top Bottom