Ducks chasing feet

Galaxyfalcon

Songster
May 25, 2020
Eastern WA
So very recently, maybe in the last 3 weeks or so, our ducks have begun chasing my girlfriend's feet whenever she's outdoors! She's the one who spent the most time raising them so they normally see her as "big momma duck." They're almost a year old (in April) and they just started chasing her feet and nipping at her wherever she goes. I should note that it's only our 2 drakes that are doing this! At first I thought it was a dominance thing but now I'm not sure. They don't seem to be nipping hard, but they will run/dash as fast as their little legs and duck waddles will carry them in order to keep up with her. My main concern with them constantly under foot is if they get stepped on and get their poor little feet injured. Has anyone seen this behavior before? I can try to get a video on here if you think it would help. Previous to this they would waddle after/alongside but not right underfoot/nipping at her shoes.

My ducks sometimes just like to bite toes. It might be a mating behavior from your males, you can just not tolerate it by locking your ducks up for a few minutes every time it happens if you want to try and stop it.

My boy charges along behind if I have their favouroite blue bowl in my hand that might just be frozen peas, not nipping but nudging. He's wonky with turned in feet but he shifts when he wants to.

So very recently, maybe in the last 3 weeks or so, our ducks have begun chasing my girlfriend's feet whenever she's outdoors! She's the one who spent the most time raising them so they normally see her as "big momma duck." They're almost a year old (in April) and they just started chasing her feet and nipping at her wherever she goes. I should note that it's only our 2 drakes that are doing this! At first I thought it was a dominance thing but now I'm not sure. They don't seem to be nipping hard, but they will run/dash as fast as their little legs and duck waddles will carry them in order to keep up with her. My main concern with them constantly under foot is if they get stepped on and get their poor little feet injured. Has anyone seen this behavior before? I can try to get a video on here if you think it would help. Previous to this they would waddle after/alongside but not right underfoot/nipping at her shoes.
Mine do it too. When I notice he does it, I just slide my feet to walk around instead of taking actual steps. It usually doesn’t last too long. It’s so cute. I like to think they are playing 🤣🤣

Back
Top Bottom