Ducks chest swollen after encounter with dog

kflowers629

In the Brooder
Oct 16, 2021
My neighbors dog got ahold of my male rouen (?) duck about a week ago. Luckily, the duck got away before tragedy struck. But now his chest is real swollen and when he quacks, no sound comes out. He walks around fine other than that. any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!

My neighbors dog got ahold of my male rouen (?) duck about a week ago. Luckily, the duck got away before tragedy struck. But now his chest is real swollen and when he quacks, no sound comes out. He walks around fine other than that. any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!
He may possibly have a ruptured air sac or an internal injury. Can you get some pictures of him/his chest and post here?

I'll tag a few others who may be able to help.

@Eggcessive
@Isaac 0
@Miss Lydia

It does sound possibly like a leaking or ruptured air sac. I know nothing of ducks, but here is a video on how to remove the air under the skin with a needle and syringe:

Any wound on the chest?
here is info on air sac ruptures maybe it will give you an idea if this is what is going on.
https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/air-sac-rupture
Honestly, i dont know if he has a chest wound, I was so happy he was alive and walking that i just let him be since he looked fine. i did notice that he cant flap one of his wings too well (he does try) but i figured he was just sore.

It does sound possibly like a leaking or ruptured air sac. I know nothing of ducks, but here is a video on how to remove the air under the skin with a needle and syringe:
I would definitely not feel comfortable doing that myself. Not to mention that Donald is a pretty big duck and hes not to keen on people touching him. lol

Sometimes the air from a leaking air sac will not cause serious problems and can be reabsorbed by the body. In other cases it can cause respiratory distress, and that is a time when it needs to be treated by a needle and withdrawing air.

Sometimes the air from a leaking air sac will not cause serious problems and can be reabsorbed by the body. In other cases it can cause respiratory distress, and that is a time when it needs to be treated by a needle and withdrawing air.
a vet can do that, right? if its necessary?

Back
Top Bottom