Ducks/chicken question

Grey's

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Ottawa, ON Canada
First, I heard that putting straw down in a chicken coop is not preferable. I have one coop with my girls in and they have wood shavings, but I have some polish hens that have been raised now with my four Indian runners and I think I will keep them together because they get along so well in another coop, now I have put straw down for the ducks but am thinking of putting wood shavings for both, what should I do.? Is wood shaving okay for the ducks?

My ducks have not laid eggs yet, someone told me duck eggs taste terrible, any opinions on this, I have never tasted one before.

Thanks so much for any answers.

We LOVE duck eggs!
I have a corner of my chicken coop that I made a big square out of cinder blocks. I fill that space with straw. Everywhere else I use pine shavings. The ducks know just where to lay, and it stays surprisingly clean for a really long time. The ducks tend to lay very early morning, so I let everybody out when I know they are done laying. Otherwise I will find eggs all over the place.

Hi!
frow.gif

I use wood shavings for my ducks' bedding. I also add a little Sweet PDZ, and do what I can to reduce moisture by picking up damp bits every morning. Those become garden fertilizer. I use a cultivator to fluff up the bedding every day, too. I have seen that with the moisture in the duck's poop, ammonia and/or mold can develop unless I properly manage the moisture. The watering station holds the water pot, and I have sawdust pellets in that. Those are changed out more frequently than the bedding.

I sometimes put straw in corners because the ducks like to make their own nests to lay in.

Duck eggs are delicious, in my opinion. I have met a few people who don't like them, but most like them fine. Part of the flavor depends on what they eat.

Back
Top Bottom