Ducks & Chickens? Can they live in peace?

mefbrennan

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
Santa Rosa
I am just getting my backyard chickens started, today while checking out the chicks at tractor supply co. I came across some ducklings. I fell in love! I want one so bad, but do I need to get 2? Do they get along with chickens? I'm sure a ton of people on here have both, let me know!

It can be done. Many people on here keep them with chickens. The main issue is if a drake tries to breed your chickens he must be separated from them or he can cause serious damage to them. Yes you will need to buy at least 2 ducklings.

Duck are a mess they fling water everywhere and get the food all mushy. I would not suggest getting them together especially if you are new to chickens. You can keep them together once they are older, but it's a bit of a hassle. Duck also grow a lot faster than chicks and can't be house with them when they are little because they can hurt the little chicks since they outgrow the chicks.

Duck are a mess they fling water everywhere and get the food all mushy. I would not suggest getting them together especially if you are new to chickens. You can keep them together once they are older, but it's a bit of a hassle. Duck also grow a lot faster than chicks and can't be house with them when they are little because they can hurt the little chicks since they outgrow the chicks.
nice to know!

Back
Top Bottom