ducks/coop

From what i have been reading they will but sometimes they may come in later than the chickens so if you have an automatic door you may need to account for that........i just got my first duck yesterday so im not sure though......just reaptinwhat i have read

I just go outside before it gets dark and round them up into the hut, they go pretty willingly. Another way to get them to go in their hut at night is feed them a little in the morning, let them free range, than bring their bigger meal out before bedtime and place it in the hut or near the hut. Makes it easier to get them in at night!

My 5 Pekins will not go to the coop at night. They want to stay in the pond even when it is cold outside.

Tonight was a bit different, I chased them out of the pond because it is so cold out. They bee-lined for the chicken coop then proceded to feast on the crumble.

I'm not sure if they were cold or hungry or what. But they by-passed the treats and were strangely quiet in the coop.

Mine head to their house at nightfall. They were in their house tonight before it was entirely dark out. It's new location doesn't see the light from the house, so they don't sit out and wait for me to say bedtime and close them in, they climb in and wait for me to close the door behind them
smile.png

My runner prefers being in the coop with the chicks. The pekin I always have to chase and physically put her in. As soon as I get it more secure the ducks are being introduced to the dog house they will call home. I kinda hate to take the runner out of the coop though, caught him huddling with the runty chick tonight

If you train them they will. Every day at the same time bring them treats and only let them eat the treats in their coop. After a week they will be trained to look forward to their evening treats and should come to you easily.

I am new to ducks also and the lady who gave me the ducks told me to feed them at night when it is time to get cooped up.

Works WONDERS. They see us come out at night and they (normally) run their little selves straight to the barn.
big_smile.png

I have had to round them up, but they know right away that we are going to the barn so they go willingly.

They are smart little things...........or maybe their bellies talk louder then their desire to stay out ........
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom