Ducks destroying eggs before I can collect for incubation

DuckyBabies

Songster
Oct 15, 2018
I decided to incubate duck eggs as soon as I can gather enough. This will be my first time incubating, but I have yet to be able to collect any eggs. I have one female that lays everyday, but every day her eggs are busted. Nothing can get in their coop, so I believe my ducks may be destroying their own eggs. Is there any way to avoid this so I can collect eggs for incubating?

Ducks can be hard on their eggs, they lay them anywhere and seem to kick them around in the mud. A few things to keep in mind. Make sure they have a spot with deep bedding that they can lay in. Make sure this spot is far from the pool; things always seem to get crazy around the pool. Try to collect your eggs as early as possible in the day every day. Also, thin shelled eggs are more prone to breaking, it's possible you have a bit of a thin shell problem; make sure your ducks have plenty of calcium, not only in their food, but a dish of oyster shells and eggshells.

Ducks can be hard on their eggs, they lay them anywhere and seem to kick them around in the mud. A few things to keep in mind. Make sure they have a spot with deep bedding that they can lay in. Make sure this spot is far from the pool; things always seem to get crazy around the pool. Try to collect your eggs as early as possible in the day every day. Also, thin shelled eggs are more prone to breaking, it's possible you have a bit of a thin shell problem; make sure your ducks have plenty of calcium, not only in their food, but a dish of oyster shells and eggshells.
Thank you for your reply! We made her a nesting box, but she refuses to go in there. She just kind of lays wherever she pleases. I have noticed thin shells. Should I mix in some ground up egg shells in their food or give it to them separately?

Thank you for your reply! We made her a nesting box, but she refuses to go in there. She just kind of lays wherever she pleases. I have noticed thin shells. Should I mix in some ground up egg shells in their food or give it to them separately?

Ducks are picky and if the nest box is new, it's just scary and different. I have some ducks that make nice little nests in the straw in the back corner of their house and others that lay by the food dish, by the pool, in the pool, anywhere but a nest.

I would give the oyster shell separate in a dish instead of mixing it in the food.

Ducks are picky and if the nest box is new, it's just scary and different. I have some ducks that make nice little nests in the straw in the back corner of their house and others that lay by the food dish, by the pool, in the pool, anywhere but a nest.

I would give the oyster shell separate in a dish instead of mixing it in the food.
Thank you so much! I will definitely start giving them some!

Back
Top Bottom