1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks eggs going to incubating today, have a ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LauraSBale, Sep 27, 2009.

1. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

i have 10 eggs some of them have some poop on them, How do i clean that off, not take off the waxy coating?

thanks
    Laura

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Some people wash it off and take their chances...others just leave it.

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Chris and Mike Ashton write in "The Domestic Duck" page 137, "Dirtier eggs should be thoroughly cleaned straight away, but reject any eggs that are very dirty - they will most certainly become a health hazard in the incubator." For washing they recommend water that is slightly warmer than the egg to prevent the membrane from contracting and drawing bacteria into the egg. Don't rotate the egg in the same direction they were cleaned. Dry them quickly on a drying rack.

They also had the names of some safe bactericides, but we don't have the ones mentioned here in the states.

I hope that helps.

4. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    if they are horrible dirty i chance it and wash them off but if its just nothing major i pop them in as is its better that way you could also rub it off w/o water

5. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks every one

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by