Ducks eye is turning white and has some discharge

MrsFrancis

Hatching
Nov 16, 2018
Yesterday I noticed my Swedish duck was separating himself from the others. I looked at his eye and he had it partially closed. I got up to get a closer look and he had a whitish discharge coming from one eye. Today I came home and he has completely isolated himself from the others (staying at the house while others are in the pond). I took a close look at his eye and his has discharge (not as much as yesterday) and his eye appears to be opaque. He it’s not moving around much and will let me pick him up without a whole lot of fight. I tried researching it yesterday. I’m not sure if he has foamy eye, respiratory infection, injury in his eye, or something else. I’ve started putting an antibiotic gel / wash in his eye so I will see if this improves his eye. I’m not sure what’s wrong with him and I’m wanting to know what I could do to help him. Also if whatever he may have could be infectious or permenant. I have attached pictures of both his normal eye and sickly eye that I took tonight. Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• 6312772D-AD06-43E2-B466-AD3E434CA2D2.jpeg
    6312772D-AD06-43E2-B466-AD3E434CA2D2.jpeg
    350.2 KB · Views: 156
  • F7C07734-B874-462F-94EF-5812538BC820.jpeg
    F7C07734-B874-462F-94EF-5812538BC820.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 67
Oh that doesn’t look good, it looks like he lost the eye. Some how with an injury or an infection, can you afford the vet? This might be the time to go and if he’s still not hanging with the group is probably not good ether because it might mean that he’s not feeling good and because there’s an infection and needs antibiotics. Poor baby, I hope he gets better ❤️

Welcome to BYC! Sorry about your duck's eye :hugs Is there an chance you can get him to a vet? Given the color of his eye, the discharge, and the fact he isn't feeling well, I think he might have a respiratory infection, for which he will probably need antibiotics.

Discharge, especially white, is a good indicator of bacterial infection. I almost wouldn't suspect a respiratory infection though since both eyes aren't affected but it could explain why the duck is secluding himself or it could just be from the fact that it's lost vision of that one eye and is having trouble balancing and getting around. Bacterial infections spread very easily so I would monitor your other ducks for similar symptoms. Depending on what this actually is will depend on if it's permanent or not. If it's an infection and you've caught it quick enough there's a good chance it's reversible other wise this duck has probably lost vision of this eye. At this point eye washes and antibiotic ointment are your best bet. If the drainage doesn't get better in 48 hours after using the antibiotic ointment you should consider injury. How old is the duck? Is it still eating and drinking? If it's a young duck you can rule out any type of cataract for the opaqueness. If the duck is eating and drinking per usual you can probably rule out any type of systemic infection.

Last edited:
Yesterday I noticed my Swedish duck was separating himself from the others. I looked at his eye and he had it partially closed. I got up to get a closer look and he had a whitish discharge coming from one eye. Today I came home and he has completely isolated himself from the others (staying at the house while others are in the pond). I took a close look at his eye and his has discharge (not as much as yesterday) and his eye appears to be opaque. He it’s not moving around much and will let me pick him up without a whole lot of fight. I tried researching it yesterday. I’m not sure if he has foamy eye, respiratory infection, injury in his eye, or something else. I’ve started putting an antibiotic gel / wash in his eye so I will see if this improves his eye. I’m not sure what’s wrong with him and I’m wanting to know what I could do to help him. Also if whatever he may have could be infectious or permenant. I have attached pictures of both his normal eye and sickly eye that I took tonight. Thanks in advanced!

“Update: He is drinking water. I haven’t seen him eat yet. There is no discharge this morning. I’m going to go get him antibiotics. The last picture is how his eye looks this morning.”

Attachments

• 76071DC7-045B-44F4-9486-C2B742D43CA3.jpeg
    76071DC7-045B-44F4-9486-C2B742D43CA3.jpeg
    442 KB · Views: 63
Good news that he's drinking. May I suggest that you weigh him today and then weigh him daily to monitor any weight loss? Is the eye still opaque?

Back
Top Bottom