Ducks eye looks weird

chickenman486

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2015
west michigan
I have one Indian runner duck that's eye in like red around it but it can still see out of it could it maybe be worm eye.also there was like water and bubbles coming out of it can someone tell me what's wrongs and how to treat it? Thx

I have one Indian runner duck that's eye in like red around it but it can still see out of it could it maybe be worm eye.also there was like water and bubbles coming out of it can someone tell me what's wrongs and how to treat it? Thx
@chickenman486 does your duck have a bucket of water to wash out her eyes and clean her bill? You could try adding some ACV to her water 1-2 tablespoons to 1 gal of water it can kill some bacteria but if this has been going on for sometime and she has been using a bucket to clean then you might want to get some terramycin eye ointment at the feed store and begin using it. How is she other wise eating good acting like she is feeling good? she could also have something like dust in there so washing the eye out with some saline rinse might help too 1/8 tea salt mixed to 1 cup of warm water. Please let us know how she is doing.

Last edited:
it just started yesterday and she does have a bucket of water. she has been acting fine shes been laying eegs and swimming but she doesnt move a lot unless i make her she just stands there.

Last edited:
it just started yesterday and she does have a bucket of water. she has been acting fine shes been laying eegs and swimming but she doesnt move a lot unless i make her she just stands there.
You could take her to a vet for a culture or get some Terramycin eye ointment at the feed store and treat her eye with it. Something has either irritated her eye or she has an infection starting . I'd get it under control asap. She doesn't run around with her flock?

If she is not moving much by herself, something is going on. I would get her to a vet if at all possible. At least take a stool sample for testing for parasites or infection. She could have egg yolk peritonitis and be terribly run-down and the eye infection could be a result of her weakened state. Can she swim in the water? Ducks can benefit so much from swimming - and I feel that they don't thrive without a chance to get into water for a splash.

If you are concerned about the chickens, then I would divide a swim area for her and let her in there much of the time.

Might silver sulfadiazine help?

We had a very similar problem, but our duck's entire face was swollen three times its normal size and one of her eyes was swollen shut, with a trace of blood under the eyelid. We never figured out for sure what exactly caused it, but we guessed something had irritated or injured her eye and she maybe had an allergic reaction to it. We used silver sulfadiazine and put a little dab of the paste on her eye twice a day until she was able to open the eye again. (We used something else for the swelling.)

Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks says that a foamy eye is usually the result of an injury, but can also be a sign of respiratory disease. You might want to check if she's breathing normally.

I wouldn't think it's an infection, because that usually takes longer to develop.

I believe you can use normal eye drops, but you might want to wait for affirmation from the experts.

I can't get Terramycin at all where I live, but it's just an antibiotic (oxytetracycline). If you can't find it, I'm sure some other antibiotic (such as the silver) would do just as well.

Back
Top Bottom