Ducks flipper bent backwards, any help to fix would be great

Columbus

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 4, 2012
Ballan, Australia

Hi, I have a Pekin Duck that I bought a couple of weeks ago. She is probably about 4 - 5 weeks old now. I found her a five days ago with one of her flippers stuck in a box she had been sleeping in and twisted backwards. The flipper has not turned around and she hops everywhere now. I went to the vet and got xrays, no broken bones and vet said just tendon damage and gave medication. Trouble is, 5 days later and flipper still the other way and she is just learning to walk with backwards flipper. Can anyone help, as I am really not sure what to do, as local vet of no help at all.
thanks

Last edited:
Hi
I was thinking that, as she doesnt seem to be in pain, but the vet said no need bec not broken. I have lost faith in the vet though.
Do you know how to do a splint ? I can't seem to upload a pic, it just does nothing when i click on browse for the pic.
thanks for you reply. I am worried about this duck, that it may spend it's life with a backwards flipper and that of course if will be prey.

Hi, no, What sort of vitamins do you recommend? The duck had an accident and got her flipper stuck when getting out of the box, What I am doing is massaging with an ortho type natural oil, that was recommended by a natural healer friend, feeding lots cucumbers as she likes, bit of bread a and free range seeds. She is in with another black duck who assists her and 5 young chicks. thanks

Any added vitamins would be beneficial in the healing process. Most feed stores sells multi vitamins for poultry.

Get some vet wrap- from some place like Tractor Supply- if you don't have any. If you buy it in the people first aid section, its ridiculously overpriced. Find something rigid that is bent in the right direction- like the handle off a milk jug or something. Wrap it to her leg so its pointing the right way. I would say change it every two days until it seems to be staying right.

A complete diet is very important for ducklings and can make a big difference in their health. Do you have access to waterfowl feed, or must you make your own? Poultry vitamins would be a really good idea for your duck.

Back
Top Bottom