Ducks Getting Aggressive?

WalkerH

Songster
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
Southern Maryland, USA
I have two pekin drakes who are attempting to mate with a single pullet they were raised with. I have blocked them off but the female flies up into their area when they are let out to free range. As I wanted to get some females anyway I have been looking around and it seems now it a fine time to buy them. Someone is selling some female muscovies for 5 dollars each and they are seven months old. My mom is fine if I get some, as I pay for feed and all the other needed stuff, but she believes that once they start laying they will get aggressive though. And that is the only reason she doesn't want me to get them. I was under the assumption that geese can get aggressive and drakes can get aggressive, but I wasn't aware ducks get aggressive once they start laying, I haven't actually ever heard of this. What do you all, who already own ducks, think? Ever had any aggressive muscovies become aggressive once they start laying?

Oh and I don't plan on hatching out any eggs either. If I do I will get a male muscovy, as I do know that a muscovy crossed with a different breed duck will create a sterile mulescovy.

Last edited:
Quote:
When a female duck goes broody she will protect her eggs, she may pinch you when you try to take her eggs but i have not had one of my muscovy hen attack me or be overly aggressive. Just remember to keep the girls from being over mated you should have at least 2 to 3 females for each drake. Don't get me wrong when my girls was brooding earlier this summer she would pinch the daylights out of my hand but It wasn't life threatening.
smile.png
just kidding.

Yes, I can see them becoming slightly aggressive or severely aggressive when they are protecting a nest or such, when they are brooding. My mom just thinks they will attack you unprovoked, like a rooster.

My only experience has been with 2 pekin drakes, 2 muscovy drakes, and 2 muscovy ducks. The males have always been way more aggressive and brave. The girls will run from anything and anyone bigger than them. The boys will give my 70lbs bullmastiff mix a quick pinch if she gets too close. The girls will run from my 15lbs poodle mix.

I've never had a duck be aggressive. On the other hand, I am mystified by all the people having problems with aggressive drakes, because I have never had a drake so much as think about being even marginally unpleasant.

yes they will get agressive if she is in a situation where she is mating because the eggs are fertile and she will instintively protect them. I would get a male muscovy to be safe as I have been in the same situation.

Muscovy moms are tough. I saw one of mine fly up into a rooster and grabbed him in the throat because he pecked one of her babies as it walked by. But they are very gentle when laying.

I have no experience with muscovy laying (yet) but a runner hen i used to have was like the devil once she went broody. She was so dedicated that she wouldn't get off the nest to eat so I removed her daily. It was like approach quick, grab her, let her go by the food, and get out of the way. It was worse when the eggs hatched. What a protective mom. I didn't mind, they are not suppossed to be good moms. But she was only doing what came naturally. There was never an instance of unwarranted aggression.

Back
Top Bottom