Ducks, Grass, and Sagebrush eating Cattle

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
So I'd been thinking about this earlier today. I think a lot of you would be interested in it also.

There's been people for years in the Southwest and even places like Wyoming, and Montana, and parts of Colorado that have raised cattle to eat sage brush. Its a dry farming adapted trick. With cattle you can get away with it because they have a special kind of stomach system. You can't do this all at once and turn cattle into sage brush after they'd been eating hay cold turkey. But people have done it by transitioning them a bit at a time until they have adapted to it. (I haven't done this cattle sagebrush trick personally; so there might be more to it than this, but when growing up it wasn't unusual to see this kind of thing.)

I've been wondering if...

No, I am not going to ask if ducks can eat sagebrush.

Wait, that might be interesting to think about too...JK.

Anyway, I'm wondering if cows are adaptable then maybe other ducks are too.

Can you train ducks to only eat grass? Is there a maximum amount of there diet as a ceiling for grass percentage wise? Or would you go full 100% off grass and bugs? I get that winters would be a challenge. And I'm not sure if they'd be more prone to run away if raised this way?

I'm not intending to fully do this, and don't want any trouble with activists etc. I'm OK with the idea of treats for them even. But I'm interested in economics for this.

My birds free range all day, but I also leave their feeder full. In the spring, summer, and fall they eat very little of the feed, but they do eat it. Winter is when they really go through it though, not much else to choose from.
I would suggest to anyone free ranging to still supplement their diet with a balanced feed of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom