ducks help what wrong?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gapeveryday, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Gapeveryday

Gapeveryday Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    FL
    my indian runner duck today seems to be acting weird he is walking but kinda acting like if he drunk and gets off balance what can this be he was fine i just reconized it right now he seems healthy a good just when he walks he looks drunk and almost trips over ??? help thanks

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How old is he?
    What does he eat? How often? Treats?

What's the weather like?

Does he roam around outside?

If he goes outside, what kinds of places does he go? Lawn? Mud puddle? Garden?

Give him plenty of fresh water, and if you have poultry vitamins, electrolytes, probiotics, give him some of those.

3. Gapeveryday

Gapeveryday Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    FL
    Quote:he is like around 4-5 months old

he eats regular duck fed both of them do they never had issues with what there eating and treat i give peas lettuce meal worms tamatoes
    weather is hot i live in fl
    the roam in my back yard the play in the pool when i take them outside they live in side though in my room lol
    where can i get poultry vitamins from ??

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    feed stores carry them, or you can get them from a catalog or online

I am trying to thing of things that make ducks wobbly. It can be they eat something poisonous, or they get dehydrated, or get botulism which can come from standing mud holes, younger ducks can have niacin deficiency but yours gets mealworms and sounds like he's getting pretty good nutrition. An injury may also cause weakness in the legs.

Did he do anything different today?

Does he smell different? Do his legs feel too hot? I'm thinking these may be signs of infection.

Is he eating, drinking normally?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by