Ducks in the coop?

rawketstarling

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Do ducks need to be cooped at night like chickens? In the evening my chickens make for the coop, but the ducks are too silly to go in there. I keep chasing them and putting them in there, but I wasn't sure if it's necessary. Will they learn?

I threw pea parties in the duckhouse even before they spent the night there. If it's a fun place, they catch on easier. And each flock is unique. They are very susceptible to predators.

Our ducks have been raised with our chickens, so everyone gets locked in the coop at night. In order to get the birds into the coop we started feeding them their goodies about an hour or two before sunset when they would normally roost. Everyone shows up for food and we close the door. I have also found that ducks really like zucchini and squash so if you grow any, shred up your surplus or deformed veggies and feed them to the birds, the ducks come running ( well, waddling) when they see their goodie bag. Good luck.

Thanks everyone! I feel like I should clarify here, however--no one's free range yet. They're all still in their (roomy) run, as they're still adolescents, so they are secure in a way--I've tried to make the run as predator-proof as possible. My question was more towards duck nature: do they naturally want the quiet dark place like chickens do, or will they just lay outside all night? The run isn't dangerous but I definitely want to take precautions, so every night I catch the two ducklings and throw them in the henhouse with the chickies. Thanks for the tip about zucchini and squash though--I definitely have a surplus!

Mine want to be in at night. When they were old enough to go outside, I put them in the coop for a day or two so they would get used to that being "home" for them, and they've been putting themselves into the coop around dusk consistently ever since. We go out and shut the door once it's dark out and open it again in the morning when we feed them/collect the eggs.

One afternoon the coop door got closed by one of us accidentally and they were freaking out when I went to close it for them that night - they were all standing just outside the door quacking to be let in. They seem to know that's where they're safe.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Funny that's what my runners do too. Got them at 6 weeks and had to catch them for first 4 weeks to put them away but now they put themselves away and some evenings I have to shoo them out as it is too early for them to bed down. They don't have food or water overnight so I don't like them going more than 9 hours in the coop - so 8pm when it is still light is too early!! We are moving them to a new house soon so arrangements for water may change.

My hens are very precise and organised- every night at around 8 they are in with no questions asked. One night though I went to lock them up at 9:30, and unlike usual, the ducks were also in bed. I think they do want to go in the coop but their timing isn't as great as the hens and they like to go in later :3

My runner ducks lay their eggs where ever they happen to be when th urge strikes them. Buf they lay at night or before we open the coop in the morning. My rohan hen however lays her eggs in the chicken's nest boxes, probably because she is the only feamale duck that can fly up there, because of that we know which eggs to incubate. We origanally put in lowere nest boxes just for the ducks with a ramp and a wider walk way but so far Lady Quack is the only one to use the nest boxes and she uses the upper ones. Good luck and if you want the duck eggs for eating, they are very rich by them selves but are wonderful for baking.

I have a new developement on my ducks laying their eggs where ever. Apparently the eggs layed in the middle of the coop, by the water dish and in th the oyster shells were decoys to keep me from looking for the main clutch. Or at least that is what I think, because I found a clutch of duck eggs this morning. When I tried to count the eggs in the clutch I had one angry duckie. I decided to leave the eggs up there, they will hatch when they hatch, that way mommy duck doesn't kill me. I am still thinking those other eggs were decoys, if so , smartest ducks ever!

Back
Top Bottom