Ducks in the same coop as chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Shamrock, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Hatching

Jul 6, 2008
    Hi

We have just bought 7 ducks and I was wondering can they be put in the same coop as chickens, and if so, at what age?

2. I have ducks in with my chickens but keep in mind that ducks are messy, messy, MESSY! and I find my chickens don't like to live in their mess.... They will all be seperated VERY soon because of that.

3. farm_mom

farm_mom Songster

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Hi! [​IMG] My parents raised mallards and chickens together without a problem. They had a large run and coop with plenty of room. The pekings had to be seperate though because they would get too rough (and try to mate) the mallards and chickens. Since my coop is smaller, I keep my ducks separate from my chickens because as was mentioned earlier, ducks make things messy and wet, which the chickens do not appreciate!! [​IMG] Good Luck!

4. karanleaf

karanleaf Songster

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    [​IMG] Hello from one new chick to a newer chick [​IMG] We have a divider between our ducks and chickens but when I let the ducks out to the yard I open the divider and let the chickens have the whole area. They seem to do a great job scratching and airing out the duck shed. So I look at it as a benefit as it makes it easier for me to rake out the straw and clean the duck shed. I think the chickens enjoy their job. [​IMG]

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chickens do not like living in the wet messy muck that ducks thrive on. I keep mine separate.

6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Songster

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I had ducks and chickens together and in winter they tracked in ALOT of muck which made the coop very humid which was not good for the chickens respiratory health. Also the drakes kept my polish roo out of the coop and wouldn't let him in during an ice storm. Sadly I noticed too late. So I really didn't have the best of luck mixing the 2, it might work during the dry summer months fine but it failed during a wet winter for me.

7. ml

ml Songster

Mar 4, 2007
    I think it depends on the types of ducks. A no to Scovies and chickens/chicks. Runners are ok with mine and mallards. The calls even were bad with the chicks. Ducks are just too messy to be with chicks/chickens.

ML

8. GlacierNan

GlacierNan In the Brooder

Mar 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I feel like the odd duck out![​IMG]

My order from Ideal was for 26 chicks and 4 ducks. I brooded them together and moved them all out to the coop and pen together. Their feed and water are outside the coop so it isn't messy inside at all.
    As for getting along they are best buds!
    I use the deep litter method and also DE, no problems with smell or yucky duck poop. I stir the litter up and fresh as a rose.
    Alright mayby not a rose, but a daisy for sure!
    Just my 2 cents worth:)

9. karanleaf

karanleaf Songster

Jun 29, 2008
    Glenwood, Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG] I'll raise your 2cents to a quarter. [​IMG] My chickens seem to love their job scratching in the duck shed. I have not had any problems with them co habitaing. At night the chickens go to bed in their coop and the ducks have fresh bedding in their shed. [​IMG] And I Like Daisies so do my ducks [​IMG]

10. jandmeg07

jandmeg07 Songster

May 30, 2008
    Cheboygan, MI
    We've got our chickens and ducks together, too. They share a shed coop and a run for now and they all seem like very happy birds. They do really well together! We have a Rouen and a Pekin, both 7 weeks. Our chickens are 6 weeks. They brooded in our laundry room together and the chicks would roost on the edge of the duck brooder and chat them up. In the coop, we have a short temporary divider until we finish building them their own sections and of course, the chickens go whereever they want. Most of the time, they all end up sleeping in the same side and seem to like being near eachother. When they're in the run the ducks will sometimes chase after the chickens, especially if there are treats, but usually they all mind their own. We ARE going to build the chickens their own run off the other side of the shed and when the dividers are done in the coop, they will be able to see eachother and chat still, but will have their own spaces. Wow, I didn't intend for this to be so long! [​IMG] From our experience anyway, although it may not be ideal, keeping ducks and chickens together can most certainly be done. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: