Ducks in Thunderstorms

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Luvmyducks, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Luvmyducks

Luvmyducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    What do your ducks do during a thunder and lightening storm? Mine will not get out of the pool!!! They continue to swim or just sit in the storm. I thought they would be afraid and go into their house or at least under a bush!!

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Mine continue to do whatever they were doing before. Then once it drops buckets of rain, they go play in it.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My runners love the rain, so if a little lightning and thunder come along, who cares?

If the lightning is rather close, the noise of the thunder causes them to look around carefully, but that's about it.

If I have notice of a real rip-snorting storm coming, I often move them to the storm shelter just to be safe.

They love rain and aren't bothered by storms.

4. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    I am watching my friends farm this week as wqell happened to be there when a storm hit - the chickens ran in the barn - the Muscovies ran out of the barn into the storm~ Who knew?!?!?!

5. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are playing in the rain as I type!

6. Luvmyducks

Luvmyducks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Oh good...so it is not just mine! [​IMG]

7. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Like everyone else's, mine just do what they do. I sometimes spray them with the hose and Olive tries to bite the drops.

8. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the post!! I was wondering the same thing! My DH called me at work last week to tell me the ducks were swimming in their pool while it was lightning. He wondered if he should go out and shoo them into their shed. I said although I love the ducks very much, I'd prefer HE not get struck by lightning trying to keep them safe... [​IMG]

9. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Mine love the rain but hate storms. Whenever lightening of thunder hits they all bolt in different directions terrified. It breaks my heart so when there is a storm, I now put on my waterproofs and sit out with them so they can huddle round when it gets scary. If they are locked up in the hut at night I still go out and talk to them through it cos when the thunder cracks I can hear them panicking and bolting in the hut too. Poor babies. DH thinks I'm mad running outside the minute it starts thundering lol!!

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:So you never heard such "clever" remarks like "nice weather" yep for ducks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by