Ducks in wheelchairs

loofa

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 4, 2009
We don't seem to have a solid thread on wheelchairs/disabled ducks so while this is a personal question, perhaps this can also help others in the future.

Okay, so our Nutmeg, who I've written about elsewhere, is not getting better. You can see all the things we are already doing for her here (there are some things calcium and vitamin B complex will not fix). It's looking like she may be a one legged duck from here on out as she has completely lost use of her right leg. She is otherwise healthy so this isn't a "should we put her down" question.

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with duck wheelchairs. Does this really work? Can a grown duck (she's 3 years old) learn to use one? Can they still be an outside duck or would this require her becoming a house duck? She would miss her flock if kept inside, but I have trouble imagining the wheelchair working as well outside.

Any wheelchair advice from people who have used them appreciated - like, good ones for purchase, best designs if making your own, what works, what doesn't work, how you trained your alter-abled fowl....

If you are baffled by this idea, look up "duck wheelchair" in google images.

I read your post and I also am looking into a wheelchair for my Pekin duck who has a deformity and will need a wheelchair to have a good life and I have not found much information or products for sale. I will post any information I come across here and I hope we can find something that will help.

I read your post and I also am looking into a wheelchair for my Pekin duck who has a deformity and will need a wheelchair to have a good life and I have not found much information or products for sale. I will post any information I come across here and I hope we can find something that will help.
I am also looking for a wheelchair for Tweedles, my 4 week old duckling who was born with a deformed leg.

Back
Top Bottom