Ducks Laying Eggs Randomly

meadej

Hatching
Apr 10, 2017
Hi,

I am new to raising ducks. I have 5 (2 Cayuga, 2 Buff and 1 Rouen). The ducks have started laying eggs but have not built a nest. I find the eggs randomly laid (1 or 2 at a time) around the yard. Is this normal? Don't ducks normally build nest to lay their eggs? I'm very confused by their behavior. Thanks for any information that you can give.

Chickens Really: Thanks for that information. My ducks are still young, only about 9-months and this is their first season of laying. I was just concerned. They free range during the day and then are locked up at night. I've been walking our 3 acres every day trying to collect the eggs. It's been fun and interesting.

Chickens Really: Thanks for that information. My ducks are still young, only about 9-months and this is their first season of laying. I was just concerned. They free range during the day and then are locked up at night. I've been walking our 3 acres every day trying to collect the eggs. It's been fun and interesting.

Happy Easter ....;).....LMAO..:)

Hi,

I am new to raising ducks. I have 5 (2 Cayuga, 2 Buff and 1 Rouen). The ducks have started laying eggs but have not built a nest. I find the eggs randomly laid (1 or 2 at a time) around the yard. Is this normal? Don't ducks normally build nest to lay their eggs? I'm very confused by their behavior. Thanks for any information that you can give.
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I just ordered ducklings. But I did read that they are nocturnal and should be penned up in the evening, usually lay eggs by 9 am and in random locations as you state.

Only 1 acre to search here...

I see now, they are locked up at night... so they aren't laying during the night for you to find inside the pen, hmm... learning going on over here!
highfive.gif

@chickens really , glad to hear they may mature into a nest! Did you set it up for them or they just chose a place?

Hi,

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

I just ordered ducklings. But I did read that they are nocturnal and should be penned up in the evening, usually lay eggs by 9 am and in random locations as you state.

Only 1 acre to search here...

I see now, they are locked up at night... so they aren't laying during the night for you to find inside the pen, hmm... learning going on over here! :highfive:

@chickens really
,  glad to hear they may mature into a nest! Did you set it up for them or they just chose a place?

They chose a place...;).....Ducks are not Chickens..:)

@EggSighted4Life two of the eggs they laid sometime late morning/early afternoon yesterday in the yard. Another was laid in their pen last night. The fourth is kind of a funny story. One of my hens was sitting on what looked to be a nest in the duck house this morning. When I opened the pen to let the other ducks out, she came running out and laid an egg in the yard about half way to our pound. LOL

Yes...until the Hens mature, it will be a hit or miss situation...;)....If allowed to free range they will drop eggs because they are too excited to get out and about...;)....My Hens now all lay in the morning...Still not always in the nest...

Back
Top Bottom