Ducks mailed and still not arrived yet!

Saponaria

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
We ordered ducklings from Metzer Farms. They were shipped Monday. It's now Friday and they've still not arrived. We're really stressed about it. I'm assuming there is no way they are going to survive. I'm worried they won't be there tomorrow even. I'm stressed about getting a box full of dead or dying ducklings. This was primarily for my 8 yo daughter's birthday. She spent a lot of time picking out which she wanted. It's one thing to need to butcher an animal. It's another thing entirely spending days knowing that there is a box out there with your ducklings stressed and slowly dying in it. :(

Has anyone had this happen before? We've been ordering poultry for 14 years now and I have NEVER had a shipment arrive late at all let alone this late. I'm sure it's the post office's fault. But I'm afraid to have it happen again. Metzer told us a lot of people had called Wednesday wondering where their ducks were. How does the post office manage to lose multiple boxes of ducklings??

How long can they possibly even survive in the mail? Any suggestions for immediate treatment or care to help revive any who might still be alive? Thanks!

Oh Lord! I don't think you are going to have any survivors, but if you do, warmth, electrolyte water are the first priorities. If they are well enough, some duck mash/slurry. Make it sloppy so they don't choke.
Have you contacted Metzers?? They should send a replacement batch for you...

We ordered ducklings from Metzer Farms. They were shipped Monday. It's now Friday and they've still not arrived. We're really stressed about it. I'm assuming there is no way they are going to survive. I'm worried they won't be there tomorrow even. I'm stressed about getting a box full of dead or dying ducklings. This was primarily for my 8 yo daughter's birthday. She spent a lot of time picking out which she wanted. It's one thing to need to butcher an animal. It's another thing entirely spending days knowing that there is a box out there with your ducklings stressed and slowly dying in it. :(

Has anyone had this happen before? We've been ordering poultry for 14 years now and I have NEVER had a shipment arrive late at all let alone this late. I'm sure it's the post office's fault. But I'm afraid to have it happen again. Metzer told us a lot of people had called Wednesday wondering where their ducks were. How does the post office manage to lose multiple boxes of ducklings??

How long can they possibly even survive in the mail? Any suggestions for immediate treatment or care to help revive any who might still be alive? Thanks!
PotatoWaffles another member has missing ducklings from Metzers too. This is so awful those poor little ones.
sad.png

Now I'm getting worried! I have an order from Metzer's shipping on March 16th. I hope they will be ok. THE post office worries me.

Does the delivery of young poultry and eggs involve airplanes?
Yes, Metzer flys out of San Fransico and I would assume that with this weather everything has been grounded and has resulted in all these delays. I've ordered from Metzer and they arrived promptly and healthy but I don't see how any could make it. How has the weather been where you are this last week? Those poor babies. I'm so very sorry but I think there is no hope at this point. They should resend your order but I might wait a few weeks till this insane weather clears up.

I had no idea about the bad weather that direction. I don't have tv or watch the news. Our weather has been fine this week here though last week we had some snow and ice for a couple of days. I was kicking myself doing reading on here and realizing I could have added gro gel to their order. I didn't notice anywhere to choose that when I placed the order. But it's the first time I've ordered from them.

I've read absolutely nothing but good reviews of Metzer. I definitely don't fault them. I just feel so awful. We talked to them Wednesday and Thursday but didn't call today because we didn't want to bug them. But when we talked before they told us to call when they arrived to let them know about replacements. I guess we'll just call them tomorrow. I'm assuming they'll just need to replace the whole order. It must be a big loss for them if the post office can't get all these birds delivered. :(

I was supposed to have three ducklings arrive Wednesday morning from Metzer, but they haven't arrived yet. There's simply no way they could still be alive. We've called twice, once Wednesday morning and once today, And Metzer said a bunch have gone missing, haven't been scanned anywhere by the USPS. It's certainly not their fault, they got them all shipped on time. We had five ducklings come from them last month that arrived on time. The only reason I had another shipment was to replace one that was DOA from the last batch, and I ordered two more buddies to travel with it and keep it warm. Now I'll have to order replacements for my replacements, and probably wait another few weeks, but I'm more upset about the fact that so many baby ducks died so horribly =[ Your poor daughter must be so sad. I'm sorry you're going through this too. I think it is probably a fluke, and (hopefully) not likely to happen again. We are going to call Metzer again on Monday, regardless of if we get the ducks over the weekend or not, and set up another shipment.

Back
Top Bottom